shards of plates found in old city dump by river

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epgorge

Reaction score
The lion and the eagle have been used over the years to depict many cultures and military endeavors. The one which stands out in my mindis of the American Revolutionary War and the years leading up to the revolt. Many an issue between the Colonists and England were depicted by the Eagle (America) and the Lion (England).

Also Polish, 2nd WW veterans in Scotland used that insignia as well.

Joel

tncgal

Reaction score
This mark is Homer Laughlin China Co., East Liverpool, OH, 1877 to the present. Your mark was used c1877-c1890 and is shown on pg. 76 of DeBolt's Dictionary of American Pottery Marks. "Laughlin's use of the American Eagle atop a vanquished British Lion to mark much early whiteware is also noteworthy. And this was a time when many companies were hiding their ware behind marks replicating the British Coat of Arms." Beneath the mark says PREMIUM STONE CHINA, and the next line reads HOMER LAUGHLIN.

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
I don't know about many years ago but Homer laughlin is now located in Newell West Virginia. It's across the Ohio River from East Liverpool. I live about 25 miles from there. They still produce table wares to this day including "Fiesta Ware".

tncgal

Reaction score

Laughlin operated 3 plants in East Liverpool until 1932. In 1905, they built the largest single pottery in the world (at that time) in Newell, WV and operations there began in 1907. This was followed by a second plant in Newell in 1914 and 3 more plants by 1931.
J

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I have seen that factory across the river a thousand times and didn't know the whole story. Years ago i dated a girl from East Liverpool. Her mom's best friend worked there. At the time they were making a special run of "Warner Bros. Fiesta Ware". Her friend brought home plates with each different cartoon character on them. I tried to get her to cut loose with them but no luck. I think they were made exclusively for Warner Bros. employees. This post has reminded me of them and I think I'll hit her up to see if the novelty has worn off and she sell them to me now.
Also I have a friend who's wife was given a white Fiesta Ware Mickey Mouse water pitcher from the owner,Clyde Laughlin. It has his initials on the bottom. I was told that the Disney Fiesta is very difficult to get being as it was only given to the employees there and not even pottery employees could get them.. She said she'd sell it for the right price. Would anyone on here be interested in the pitcher or the plates. If I know what I can get out of them, it will be much easier to make them good enough offers to secure them.

tncgal

Reaction score
No, sorry they aren't worth anything except maybe for mosaics.
BTW, glass fragments are called shards and pottery fragments are called sherds. I just love learning new things, don't you?

tncgal

Reaction score
Thanks! I enjoy helping when I have answers ~ otherwise, I just lurk. ;-)

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum