charles gulden

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bubbas dad

Reaction score
i always like the barrel shaped jars and was finially able to pick one up. it's nothing fancy but i like it. would i be right in dating it to the 1880's 1890's? also is this a mustard jar?

3D3F30C6B6044B788E1D59BA274C80A1.jpg

Attachments

• 3D3F30C6B6044B788E1D59BA274C80A1.jpg
    3D3F30C6B6044B788E1D59BA274C80A1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 68

GuntherHess

Reaction score
That's a classic barrel mustard. There is a good write up on Gulden in Zumwalt's book. Your bottle is one of his earliest and could date to about 1875.

lexdigger

Reaction score
Here's one I dug that looks just like yours. It came out of an 80's layer in a dump. I dug hutches and alot of other nice stuff out of there. Chris

12F7C933FBE74AD7A662EEA9FA9EE762.jpg

Attachments

• 12F7C933FBE74AD7A662EEA9FA9EE762.jpg
    12F7C933FBE74AD7A662EEA9FA9EE762.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 66

epgorge

Reaction score
Spence,
You are correct, they do still make it and it is my favorite mustard.

Guntheress, Great book, by the way. I appreciate the knowledge.

2007 Medicine Bottle Price Guide on CDROM coming soon!
http://www.mattsoldhouse.com/MC/bottles/BottleBook2007.htm
I knew I should have waited. I will just have to get another one and see what has changed. When you figure auctions, do you take in account for Ebay? I notice there is no ryme nor reason for some of the bids.
Also, of course I know you ca't have every bottle, I noticed the "Formerly Moses Adams" was listed while the original was not. Also, the Honey amber or yellow Glover's wasn't listed. Does this mean there were none sold at auction last year?

Just effusively spilling my fast moving mind. Thanks for the book, great piece of work on your part. I was quite impressed.

I recommend this book for anyone interested in medicines. I expect the next great frontier will Pharmacies.

Stellar performance, Guntheress.

Joel

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I knew I should have waited. I will just have to get another one and see what has changed. When you figure auctions, do you take in account for Ebay? I notice there is no ryme nor reason for some of the bids.
Also, of course I know you ca't have every bottle, I noticed the "Formerly Moses Adams" was listed while the original was not. Also, the Honey amber or yellow Glover's wasn't listed. Does this mean there were none sold at auction last year?

Well the 2007 "book" is an experiment, it is on CDROM in PDF format.
I know a lot of people arent going to like that and want something on paper they can carry around with them. So you may be glad you got one of the last hard copies. A PDF version does give some big advantages , like being able to search for any word or phrase in the book.

My book most certainly does not have all the bottles I know of in it. I try to avoid listing bottles I see that I have no basis for assigning a value for. It is after all supposed ot be a price guide not a medicine encyclopedia. No one book is going to cover everything. I recommend you get all the ref books you can. Holst's CDROM and O'dell's books are very nice.

I try to deal with wild price fluctuations the best i can. I do a weighted average of the different prices I see. The longer I do the book the better the values will be.

The main differences in the 2007 version will be 1000 new listings, a lot of value adjustments, and I now list the last date that I recorded a value for each bottle. (so you can see how old the value is and If i havenet seen a bottle for a long time).

epgorge

Reaction score
Matt,

I wish I had had you sign it now. Awesome book.
I have been seeing prices going way over their listed values. Will this only make the values go up? What about the crazy bidding on Ebay?

Joel

madman

Reaction score
het john i admire food bottles very nice ive got some guldens also but there a tad newer mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora