Label Preservation

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottle Diver

Reaction score
I just finished spraying them and re-gluing a couple that had fallen right off this weekend, like you suggested. It seems to have worked perfectly. I ended up going with the spray coating for charcoal sketches. After looking at the clear coat for models, I thought it may make the labels a bit more ridgid and shiny than I wanted. The spray looks great, it didn't affect the natural colouring at all and there is no "fake" gleam or anything, just an invisible coating to protect from dust, light and rubbing, etc.

I agree with you about the contents, super good reading, if nothing else it is good for a laugh or two. I can't believe some of these mixtures didn't make people more sick!

I will try to post some pictures this week, none of them are super rare, but still some of my favs.

Thanks again everyone!

Meredith

Dive4bottles

Reaction score
I was wondering about that. Could not for the life of me picture a paper label surviving X amount of years u/w, even in fresh water. Not even pyro labels hold up u/w. Only ones I found that survive u/w are the embossed labels like this one:

If10876.jpg

Attachments

• If10876.jpg
    If10876.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 169

Bottle Diver

Reaction score
Yep, all of mine that are brought up from the depths are embossed like your example. We are actually just getting back into the heavy bottle diving season. Around November when most of the boats are pulled there is a small group of us that go out every weekend from shore all winter strictly to dive for bottles. Also the colder temps in the winter allow us to get closer to the less than pristine waters of Halifax Harbour where a lot of the older stuff comes from, so hopefully I will have some more interesting posts coming up soon.

Bottle Diver

Reaction score
Hi Everybody:

Here is the picture of my labeled bottles, as I promised some 10 posts ago [:eek:]

Zx71575.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky