bottles are worth less now?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlemania

Reaction score
So, from some of the posts on this forum, and some price guides from 10 or so years ago, I have gathered that values for most bottles have dropped pretty drastically in the past 15 years. Is this correct? Specifically, a guy posted a pic of an opaque bottle he found somewhere on this forum. Someone said 15 yrs ago, that bottle was selling for around 50 bucks, but now around 5. Is E bay the reason for this? Sorry if these are silly questions, but remember I'm extremely new to this. I would like people's input on this and anything else anyone feels like talking about. Thanks.

Paul

bearswede

Reaction score
I would say most prices on all but the most common bottles have risen... As always there will be exceptions, but I don't see any downturn in the antique bottle market...

Ron

bubbas dad

Reaction score
you have to take some price guides with a grain of salt. one that comes to mind is kovels, in my opinion most of the time they are way off, usually to the high side. most price guides give a value for bottles in extremely good condition. the amount of wear and tear on a bottle greatly affects the value of the bottle. like bearswede stated except for very common ones, most bottles have increased in value. you won't get rich but that's not the point of collecting. the biggest reason i've seen for a rare bottle to drop alot in value is when someone finds a cashe of that type of bottle and floods the market.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The value of the very rare bottles have never gone down. Bottle values in general go up and down. There was a peak back before 911 when the stock market was flying high. Last year values dropped pretty low but they seem to have been slowly climbing back up. It often seems people just buy what they like and pay what they can afford at the moment as opposed to buying based on any standard values. There arent that many good price guides out there and the variation in prices paid makes it difficult to write them. I'm trying to do my small part.

bottlemania

Reaction score
I think I get it. People are willing to pay what people are willing to pay. It's going to be different at a bottle show, where everyone knows why they're there, than it is at say, an antique store that knows it can sell certain funkier old bottles for more because of the quantness factor. One guide said my Belfast Soda bottle was worth something like $70.00 (see pics posted). I thought perhaps a little less. I was suprised when another member said $6-7.00 (suprised and bummed actually). Thanks for the input everyone.
Paul

bearswede

Reaction score
an antique store that knows it can sell certain funkier old bottles for more because of the quantness factor.

But also, antique stores and flea markets can produce some spectacular results... I think Justglass can speak to that...

Ron

IRISH

Reaction score
Bottle prices have gone nuts in Australia for the past couple of years and getting higher all the time, there has been a few that have dropped over the years (mostly middle of the road items) for various reasons. Examples, there was a fair few 26 oz Frankston springs all white ginger beers found a few years ago, they dropped from $2000 to about $150 overnight, now they are back up to a good few hundred $, there was a dig where a few thousand ginger beers where found, a couple of brands of (until then) rare blue tops that where worth around the $400 mark each where found in hundreds, I bought a few for $10 each a month later, they are now up to around the $100 mark.

Top notch stuff will always rise and middle of the road less so but still goes up over time. There are record prices going here a lot lately, GB for almost $20,000 being a good example, all our good bottles are worth heaps more than a few years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky