OLD BOTTLE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sherrie Crawford

Reaction score
I have an old bottle that was used by my greatgrandmother to store flour in. There cabin had a dirt roof and the bottle kept the flour dry. We can document it' s use back to 1902. There were originally 2 bottles. We are celebrating our ranches 100 years and would like to know some history of this bottle.

Ur52148.jpg

Attachments

• Ur52148.jpg
    Ur52148.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 163

Sherrie Crawford

Reaction score
tHE BOTTLE ISN' T TOP HEAVY. tHE BOTTOM IS VERY THICK AND HEAVY. yOU CAN TIP THE BOTTLE TO EITHER SIDE TO MAKE ASSESS EASIER. tHE FLATTENED SIDES SUPPORT THE BOTTLE SO IT STAYS TIPPED TO USE IT. iT HAS THE ORGINAL BAIL WITH THE WOODEN HANDLE. i BELEIVE THAT IT HOLD ABOUT 2 GALLONS. iT IS 15 INCHES HIGH AND 6 INCHES WIDE.

Sherrie Crawford

Reaction score
i ALSO THOUGHT THAT IT WAS AN OLD CANDY JAR. I have visited a number of places with old stores recreated and the candy jar didn' t have the bail. The candy jars could be refilled and usually had a lid that could be eaily removed. This jar has a bail and handle and had a lid that screwed on. Where it is as large as it is I filled that it had another purpose. I assume that it came from Evanston, Wyoming about 1900, as that is were my husbands grandparents were married and came further west from there. Were food items shipped in containers like these? Evanston was a frontier railroad town at the time. I don' t think that it could have been resealed like a canning jar. So it must have had a single purpose.

BottlesandMore

Reaction score
I believe the container you have was used by purveyors in dry goods stores. They were made to hang from the handle, and contained a variety of dry goods such as powders, candies etc. The store owner could easily grab the items. with the handle remove it and dump the contents onto a scale. I would believe they were used from the late 1800' s until the early 1900' s. It was easier to keep the container and fill them from a larger box or sack, which was easier to transport and not as fragile.

Sherrie Crawford

Reaction score
That makes more sense to me. My greatgrandfather was connected to various burinesses in Evanston and it would have been easy to obtain such a jar. Do you know what the value of such a jar might be.? Most of the bottle hunters around here are mostly interested in Whiskey bottles. Thank you so very much for all your help. This is a great sight.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1