Just wanted to share some pics.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BottleDawg

Reaction score
well here is a few pics of what i have found in a kinda odd place, and a story to go with it.

now i have never known about bottle collecting untill maybe a month ago. well im in pipeline construction, and we had just started this new job downtown . well the first time we put the trackhoe bucket in the ground just a few feet down we hear things break, well after a few buckets one of the other guys finds a amber perfume bottle with the glass cork still intacked. we all look at it an think, wow nice bottle its from london. well after we start getting the ditch opened up we found a ash layer a foot or so deep just below a fiber optic duct run in the middle of the street. so as we dig we start finding alot of bottles, some that look like ketchup bottles, some tea cups, plates, an med bottles. well as we dig down the side of this duct run we find that this ash layer runs all the way down the street. well we all picked what we wanted an took them home. after a week or so a digger/collector comes by an informs us that he will buy good bottles. so the formen an i show this guy what we have found and he says we have alot of " common" bottles, but also informs us about the hobbie and what bottles to look for. he also thinks its kinda odd for all of these to be in the middle of the road an that it streachs for a block or so in just a small area.(glad its just not me thinking this) now that all the guys know what we are finding, whenever we spot glass we all push each other outa the way to see what it is. i have even been body checked by others so they can see it first. i swear sometimes i was in a hocky game an not at work,(its kinda funny to see 5 or 6 construction workers get worked up over glass in the ground) but somehow i manage to pick up some cool looking bottles. i have found out real quick i am running out of room for all these. i have thought of trying to sell em to help out a new collector just starting, but also thinking of just putting them away an maybe start collecting myself ( IF i happen to find any more on another job site) its addicting to find things so old but still intact an learn about them.

anyway here are a few pics of maybe a quarter of what i have found in the past month at work. we have found alot intact an undamaged some have names an things on them some have nothen,an some have nothen but maybe a symble or numbers on the bottom. and also these pics are of the bottles uncleaned just strait out of the ground with enough dirt removed so we could read them.

Jh16069.jpg

woody

Reaction score
Nice........ I see a Warner' s Safe Cure..........
Hyundai Janos Bitters......... Maltine Manufacturing co.........
etc............

Most of these bottles are typical of late 1800' s.

You must have had a blast finding these.
Keep looking for more!!!

BottleDawg

Reaction score
yes woody i did. it was kinda like a game, a cross between i spy and Hocky or Rugbe. i' v been bodychecked, pushed&pulled,draged, outa the way to get to these bottles.

i hear there are 2 types of the Warner' s Safe Cure, 1 with the hindges on the left an 1 with the on the right. i guess there was somesort of mistake when they made it, and 1 is more rare. is that correct?

sad to say i had to leave that job site today an start a new crew. guess i wont be finding anymore unless i go digging myself. i did meet a digger/collector while i was there, maybe i' ll call him an see if i can tag along on his next dig. i kinda enjoy the excitement of seeing what i find.

oh i almost forgot to post my last find!! this is gota be my fav sofar. i have a few old oil lamps but none that are this old or small. i gota see if i can find the parts and i might " restore" it just for show around the house.

Ig11991.jpg

woody

Reaction score
Nice cobalt/saphire oil lamp.
You should be able to find a nice old brass standard to fit on it.
I' ve dug many standards for oil lamps over the years.

Yes, the Warner' s does have the hinges on the left and right. I believe the left hand hinge is rarer, but I may be mistaken.
I' ve dug about a half dozen Warners, myself.
It' s always a good bottle to find.

I thought I saw a Keesby Mattison saphire blue bottle in your lot, also.
I' d go back and check out that area some more if you get a chance.

BottleDawg

Reaction score
great eye there woody!! i had to go out a look at that bottle to see if it was a Keasby, an it is.

i talked to that other collector an he said the saphire was worth a lil $$,(50 or so dollors) but it has a lil chip at the very bottom of the handle where it connects. (price droping to slim to none for it im guessing ) but he said he knew a few people that had some parts. so i will keep it.

not sure how well you can see that Warners bottle but it has gotten like a flaky pearl coating on it after it was unearthed. i tryed warm soapy water but after it drys it reapears, any sugestion on how to get rid of that ? i didnt see any topic of that kinda prob in the cleaning section here. alot of the bottles we pulled up do the same thing.

id love to go back an dig in that same spot but i cant. as of yesterday, the road was blacktoped. guess what ever secrets it has will be kept for a while longer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky