Amherst county Virginia

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

thebottlelady

Reaction score
It's hard to go out and dig by myself. I would like to go dig for bottles more than just once in a blue moon. I can't travel far, but would be willing to drive up to an hour away. The spot I am currently digging at (well, I've been once) is where a mansion once stood. I've spoken to the person who owns the land and he doesn't mind me digging since it's just a huge pile of dirt. It's right off the James River in Elon, VA.

druggistnut

Reaction score
Hi bottle lady (don't know your name),
I'm about 8 hours away, but I would drive there, if you are actually finding any older glass. What kind of dirt pile is it and why do you think it is a dump?
I would definitely come if I had any idea I could find pontil era glass.
Email me, please.
Bill
in Michigan
bottldigr@aol.com

thebottlelady

Reaction score
I know for sure that a building stood there because of all the bricks in the soil and stone walls. It's right beside the James River and the state has put up a tiny park there. I was visiting the park and an elderly lady saw my mother-in-law using her metal detector and told her that this hill used to be a large mansion. The lady said it was used during prohibition as a tavern because it was easy to import the liquor. I don't doubt that it was some sort of watering hole or the people who lived there REALLY liked their liquor. I haven't found anything of much value; certainly nothing for you to drive 8 hours for. The last owners of the house just 'disappeared' one day and left everything in the house. Looters came in and took all the gowns and furniture and whatever else was easy to grab and looked valuable. The lady said the house fell on it's own and I wish I could find some history on it. Given that I had no clue I was going to need to dig down and only dug about a foot or so across the surface. Today, if all works out well and I get to go back and dig, I'll know to dig down and might find something older.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
One of my sisters lives near Yorktown VA and the other lives In Smithfield VA. I go down there every so often, its a great area to dig.

madman

Reaction score
i have a friend that lives in virginia marion, he would love to drive up and dig with you, hes interested in virginia history mike

vabottles69

Reaction score
[:D] Did you get anyone to ever dig with ya or for ya... I don't care what kind of class I just love the dig and the history!! Drpo me a line and I will be there in an hour..I live in Hampton va!!
Looking forward to hearing from ya..
Thanks in advance ..Jon

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky