Alright Planters Peanut people...real or repro?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ncbred77

Reaction score
This was a christmas gift. I was told that the original jars never came in any color besides clear. Just wondering if its a repro or the real deal. I'll love it either way.

7A3046FCF309495EAD609FD1A730160A.jpg

Attachments

• 7A3046FCF309495EAD609FD1A730160A.jpg
    7A3046FCF309495EAD609FD1A730160A.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 262

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
I have an original Planters Pennent Brand jar, with labels and peanut lid, and it is clear. While not a Planters expert, the color of your jar says to me it is fairly recent in manufacture. Now, if I could just figure out how to use the digital camera, I could even post you a pic of the jar. Someday I will learn....

newtothebottleworld

Reaction score
Sorry.I had made a comment about these jars,but i was thinking about a different jar.So i edited the message and deleted what i had first said.

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
My dad has a clear one that is real. I thought I could dig out some pics but I can't find them. I'll have to loo later. I know his doesn't have the Peanut Finial.

bubbas dad

Reaction score
very nice. it reminds me of the cracker jars that were in the general store near my grandparents house. they had a lance one on one counter and a toms on the other. they're hard to find and cost a pretty penny.

ncbred77

Reaction score
I've been informed by a planters collector that it is indeed a repro. All the original Planters Pennant Peanut jars were clear. Did find out the repro is still around 30 years old. Still a great looking piece.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I first saw these reproes back in the late 70's. They also came in cobalt blue...and perhaps amethyst. One still surfaces from time to time in a shoppe or at the Flea...with some outrageous $$$ amount.
It's attractive, well-made, and "aged" enough to have collector appeal & value and most likely will increase in value much like the repro 1858 jars from the 70s....
Whatever you do - take care of that lid. It's about half the value on older jars, and the jars are hard to sell without a lid or, with a damaged lid.

Reaction score
I've got one of the blue jars - thanks for the original/repro info. I bought mine around '89 or so and at the time I had to choose between a blue one and a pink one, so now we know they came in a few colors more than just clear repros.

I put a crack in mine washing it - the glass is so thin that when I reached for the faucet I bumped the cold by accident and pffffft up the side[:mad:]. Man, I hate when that happens!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum