EARLIEST ACL SODA BOTTLE(S) ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
SODA BOTTLE HISTORY (1892 thru circa 1952) - “THE MISSING LINKSâ€

I thought this would be as good a time as any to touch on the subject as to why I am so interested (obsessed ?) with the early-early years of ACL and Crown-Top soda bottles. Many of you have likely seen my other post regarding these subjects, which are titled; “Earliest “Crown Top†Soda Bottles 1892-1900†and “Three (or more) Colored ACLs.†Both of which, including this one, seem to have generated a good deal of interest. And yet, the more I research these topics, (along with the help from many of you that I appreciate), the more I realized there are some missing links regarding the specifics in these categories. For example; How many of us actually knew that the earliest ACLs would be a couple of 7up bottles and a few others from 1935? I certainly didn’t. And it seems that some of the country’s leading researchers didn’t know this either. And where are those 1933-34 examples I keep seeing references to, but are without names and faces? Are they ghost bottles, or do they actually exist? And as for the very first Crown-Tops, this is still being researched, with no definite answers in sight as yet.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I have a little writing experience and have decided to try my hand at publishing a small book or pamphlet pertaining to these so called “missing links.†I also have a little money set aside for this project, but whether I actually accomplish it or not still remains to be seen. At present it stands a 50-50 chance. My brother, who is assisting me, said I shouldn’t even mention my intentions here, as it may entice someone else to do it first. But in response to this, I say “Please go for it!“ (Seriously). Because the more I look into it, the more I realize it is no easy task. And if someone beats me to it, then so be it. I will be the first in line to purchase a copy.

But before anything like this even comes close to actually seeing the light of day, there is still a great deal of research to be done first. Especially regarding the first Crown-Top soda bottles that keep eluding me. I know the answer is out there somewhere, but it may take years of research to eventually narrow it down to just a select few bottles/bottlers.

In conclusion, I wish to thank each and every individual who has taken the time and interest to participate in these various subjects. And, as always, I welcome additional contributions and comments. Who knows, maybe one of these days we may actually know the answers to these and other as yet unanswered questions that I currently refer to as “Missing Links.â€

Thanks again to all …

SODAPOPBOB

Nickevlau

Reaction score
Got to reading your thread and realized I forgot to take pics of my Massolt Bottling Co. Maybe one for a transition?

EE526DFFFC0A4101957D2E2C6BFB7C80.jpg

Attachments

• EE526DFFFC0A4101957D2E2C6BFB7C80.jpg
    EE526DFFFC0A4101957D2E2C6BFB7C80.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 93

Nickevlau

Reaction score
Embossing at top says "REGISTERED PATENTED PRIOF" Don't know what the last word is.

79A2F64361BA4E09B8A5475D695C31DA.jpg

Attachments

• 79A2F64361BA4E09B8A5475D695C31DA.jpg
    79A2F64361BA4E09B8A5475D695C31DA.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 80

Bottle Junkie 56

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll. There are rare examples of ACL's that were manufactured on bottles dating to late 20's-early 30's, in other words, plain paper label type bottles were sent back to the glass company by bottlers, or glass company had new/old stock in inventory and printed ACL labels on bottles already several years old. I would imagine this probably happened prior to WWII. Not saying there are ACL bottles "printed" before 1935, just older bottles used after 1935. I'm sure You've seen ACL's printed over with another label. Same idea as what I first spoke about. Hey SPB, there's You another thread, ACL paint-overs. Hope this helps. RK

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Bottle Junkie 56 ~ Thanks

There is no question that the aspect of soda bottling history you mentioned deserves a more detailed going over, and is in itself another missing link. And speaking of links, the one below is to a recent thread that discussed this topic about a month ago, but which never really generated much interest. But you are certainly correct that no history of soda bottling would be complete without examining this area in more detail first. Any additional information or examples of these so called recycled bottles that you or others may be aware of would definitely be of interest to everyone concerned.

Thanks again,

SPB

Link ... https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/ACL-SODA-BOTTLE-WITH-PAPER-LABEL/m-306242/tm.htm

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Nickevlau ~

Thank you for the contribution. There are so many aspects to all of this that it seems endless. And the closure you posted certainly fits into the scheme of things. Hopefully the information below will shed a little more light on the subject and will benifit everyone concerned.

Thanks again,

SPB

"PRIOF" Closure/Finish
The "PRIOF" closure is actually a finish variation for the crown cap intended to make it easier to remove the cap in that it could be "pried off" with a non-standard opener without breaking the bottle. Paul & Parmalee (1973) describe this finish and origin quite well and are quoted below:

[blockquote][align=left]One of the last minor changes or variations of the crown closure was the development of the "Priof" method of bottle finish by the Illinois Glass Company. The crown bottle, appearing in the early 1920s, had a projecting ledge below the lip of the crown which assisted the consumer in opening the bottle. By using the ledge as a point of leverage, one could easily pry off the cap by using a knife, key, coin or any flat piece of metal. One needed only to insert the lever between the ledge and the cap and twist. Although this type of bottle finish was used sporadically through the years, it never became popular enough to dominate the market. However, its major advertising feature was that it substantially reduced the number of broken and chipped bottles which resulted from the use of various unconventional openers.[/align][/blockquote]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Below is a reference to one of my so called "Ghost" acl soda bottles. The reason I call it a ghost bottle is because it's listed in the 1934 timeline, and yet at the same time it says "after 1934." Which confuses me, because if it is in fact a 1935 bottle, then why didn't they just list it in the 1935 box to begin with? (No photos were included with this reference).

"A few Painted Label Chero-Cola bottles were issued after 1934, with a yellow label in the middle."

I know there are some serious Chero-Cola collectors among us. But rather than mention their names, I will leave it up to individual discretions as to whether or not they would like to address this particular query. And it may very well be there are no 1934 Chero-Cola acls, but even a 1935 example would qualify as one of the earliest acls known and confirmed. I hope something turns up to shed some light on this.

Thanks,

SPB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here is the only example of a Chero-Cola bottle I could find with a yellow label. But this particular example is listed as being from 1945. So whether it is the same or similar to the 1934/35 bottles previously mentioned, still remains to be determined.

SPB

D774DCFF4FD440B59FF5DA00A8392331.jpg

Attachments

• D774DCFF4FD440B59FF5DA00A8392331.jpg
    D774DCFF4FD440B59FF5DA00A8392331.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 80

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member