A new discover of a primitive Ginger Beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Geolog_Digger

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first add in the this forum. I needed help about my new discover. It seems a primitive Ginger Beer but i can be wrong. I found it in a construction Field in Old Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
It's written :
THOMPSON BROS.
HARTSHORN (?) POTTERY
BURTON. ON. TRENT
20181020_200028.jpg20181020_200005.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice find! I'm not sure I'd consider that a primitive ginger beer, I think it's a bit late and a bit more sophisticated for that. It is older than your average UK ginger beer though, though I'm not sure exactly what era it dates to. 1870s would be my guess but I could be wrong. Interesting that it's got the name of the pottery company and not the bottler. I wonder if it was brought here on a ship or if these were ever used in Montreal by a local firm.

Geolog_Digger

Reaction score
Nice find! I'm not sure I'd consider that a primitive ginger beer, I think it's a bit late and a bit more sophisticated for that. It is older than your average UK ginger beer though, though I'm not sure exactly what era it dates to. 1870s would be my guess but I could be wrong. Interesting that it's got the name of the pottery company and not the bottler. I wonder if it was brought here on a ship or if these were ever used in Montreal by a local firm.

I found a pontil bottle (R.R.R. Radaway) in the same spot, so it can be older than 1870s. I did some research but didn't find anything :confused:

hemihampton

Reaction score
For me I would consider anything 1870's or older Primitive. Old enough for me to like. Congrats on a nice find. LEON.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Probably not that much unfortunately. UK bottles in general aren't worth as much as similar North American counterparts, and since this one doesn't have a bottler's name, only a potter's name, that brings the value down further.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora