Whistle Company Canada

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Canadacan

Reaction score
Well today I added an ACL that I seen online 4 years ago, never thought I'd have the chance at one! I believe this is the first ACL from Whistle and figure it's from about 1936-38.
Interesting thing that it's marked Whistle co. of Eastern Canada Limited.

20180427_145603.jpg
20180427_145542.jpg
20180427_145525.jpg

I love this line up showing the transition.
20180427_155521.jpg

And here is the whole group including the green Vess Dry and the 28oz marked Vess Jones on the base
20180427_155749.jpg

A solo shot of the 28oz from last year and a solo of the 6.5oz
Whistle soda- pinit.jpgWhistle soda- pin.jpg

Here is a Cool add from 1922...I'll have to see what other Canadian Whistle adds I have but I think this was it.

Whistle soda- The Winnipeg Tribune, 31 Jul 1922, Mon
Whistle soda-  The Winnipeg Tribune, 31 Jul 1922, Mon.jpg

This is my Whistle crate from Cross & co. Vancouver BC
20170117_233745.jpg

And one of several rare crowns that I recently picked up.
20180405_222415 - Copy.jpg

I love this Photo from Cross and co. featuring the Whistle soap box derby car! ..circa 1930's
Cross & Co. Vanouver bc 1.jpg

And I can't forget my 1920's Whistle sign!....sorry about the Hires sneaking in there :)
20180427_170639.jpg

Last edited:

iggyworf

Reaction score
That's some great stuff Canadacan! I have a couple Whistle bottles from the USA. Thanx for showin those beauties! I think new member 'Bottle-Bud' has a good collection of Whistle & Vess bottles also.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I love it! I've never seen that one before. I rarely see Whistle ACLs at all but I definitely did not know that one existed. I really like the shade of blue, it's an unusual colour for an ACL. And at that age it's got to be one of Canada's earliest ACL bottles.

Canadacan

Reaction score
I love it! I've never seen that one before. I rarely see Whistle ACLs at all but I definitely did not know that one existed. I really like the shade of blue, it's an unusual colour for an ACL. And at that age it's got to be one of Canada's earliest ACL bottles.

@iggworf..thank you!... CC yes it's a pretty neat ACL!, the color of the blue is a little bit semitransparent so when there is light coming from behind it shows lighter blue and just up on my shelf it looks darker. There is no white behind it like the other ACL. Hey just thought I'd mention this both ACL's are 11oz... there are 10oz in the same blue and white design but the have the slogan "Satisfying Whistle" vs the 11oz with the "Guaranteed Refreshing".

20180427_203547.jpg

bottle-bud

Reaction score
Totally Cool Whistle! I have never seen that acl before. Love the blend of orange and light blue. I never seen an 11 oz capacity soda before, wondering if this size was for the Canadian market only?

Canadacan

Reaction score
Totally Cool Whistle! I have never seen that acl before. Love the blend of orange and light blue. I never seen an 11 oz capacity soda before, wondering if this size was for the Canadian market only?

Thank you!.... I'm beginning to think that 11oz size was a Canadian thing as we have several brands that came in that size, a few for example,...Wynola, Wishing Well, Kist, and Suncrest are the main ones I can think of.

That label is interesting because it is similar to some US labels, the Canadian one has no 'whistling lady' and it has that lattice pattern in the corners. I found some examples online and I believe they are 10oz.

For lack of a better description I'll call this the Vess style bottle. It's hard to see but the whistling lady is there, I don't know the years for these bottles either.
USA Vess style Whistle-10oz.jpg

Now this bottle is from L H DUNBAR BOTTLING CO LEHIGHTON PA ....there were no full bottle photos but it has a good shot of the label, and it's in the Vess style.
Whistle-L H DUNBAR BOTTLING CO LEHIGHTON PA -1.jpg

This is the same label as the other two but the bottle style is the same as the Canadian one.
USA Whistle - Copy.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
So I was asked today if this new bottle of mine was a Canadian only thing, and I actually do not know. I have also seen similar labels in paper in the past but never saved any photos.
This is the only USA ACL I've run across so far that is similar.

Here is a side by side... Can. vs US label.
Whistle label Canada vs USA-1.jpg

In my search for more bottles I did run across this Vess-Whistle -Billion Bubble Beverages bottle, I'm pretty sure I could make out 1 pint 8oz on the heel.
The label seems to be of an older vintage, maybe early 30's.
Vess-Whistle -billion bubble beverages.jpg

Last edited:

bottle-bud

Reaction score
Whistle Label

It is very interesting to me to see the different versions of Whistle. Here's an early example of a label for Orange Whistle that shows the whistle girl clearly. This label would date from about 1916 or so to 1919. I believe in 1921 the name of the company was changed from the Orange Whistle Co. to The Whistle Co. I do not own this label. I probably snipped it off the internet a while back.

Attachments

• Whistle label.jpg
    Whistle label.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 390

Canadacan

Reaction score
Nice!...love seeing that label :)... I was aware of it because of these early newsprint advertisements I gathered during some research. Here are some of those, plus a few photos...I'm not sure if you have seen these?

Whistle-1916-Lexington Kentucky
Whistle-1916-Lexington Kentucky.jpg

Whistle 1917 St. Louis[SUB][/SUB]
Whistle 1917 St. Louis.jpg

This is one of the best photos out there hands down!

Washington, D.C., 1921. “Whistle car.” A truck filled with Whistle, the “beverage wrapped in bottles.” National Photo Company glass negative.
Washington, D.C., 1921. “Whistle car.” A truck filled with Whistle, the “beverage wrapped in bot.jpg

1925 Whistle...Washington DC
1925 Whistle...Washington DC.jpg

Whistle 1924- Lorain Whistle bottling Co.
whistle-1924-ad.jpg

I thought this was also pretty cool!....see the Priof top on that bottle!
1926 illinois glass catalog-Priof -Whistle
1926 illinois glass catalog-Priof -Whistle.jpg

bottle-bud

Reaction score
I have seen some of those ads and the pics online. I have not seen the special patent design page. I have a textured bottle like the one shown but not with that top. Here is a Whistle advertisement I have had in my collection for a long time. Made of celluloid (plastic of some sort)P1010758.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora