7up BOTTLES ~ OUTSIDE THE BOX

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This is the only picture of the base I have for the 7up alkaline bottle. It was posted several years ago by member wonkapete. Notice its embossed with Dr. Pepper of Atlanta, Georgia. Its an Owens-Illinois bottle and wonkapete confirmed it was dated 1935. But he did not say and I can not make out which Owens-Illinois glass plant it was made in.

7up Base embossing on wonkapete's earliest acl bottle - From forum April 4, 2009 (400x389).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Back to "Outside The Box"

We may never know exactly what influenced the design on early 7up bottles, but I'm confident the paper labels had at least some influence on the acl labels. They are just too similar to be a coincidence ...

7up Glass Bottle Amber Paper Label (2).jpg

7up Glass Bottle Amber (4).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Speaking of labels ...

The brand was first introduced in 1929 under the name of "Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda." Although I have yet to find one, a bib label was apparently a paper label with a hole in it that hung on the neck and shoulder of the bottle. With this in mind, I'm thinking the white background on both the paper label bottles as well as the acl label bottles might in some way tie in with one of the so called bib labels. If we can find an original paper bib label, it might provide us with a clue or two.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Based on what little I could find regarding bib labels, they were apparently designed so they could be temporarily used on almost any type of bottle prior to when a company finally got around to producing a permanent label of some type. I believe bib labels were primarily used during test marketing.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Based on what little I could find regarding bib labels, they were apparently designed so they could be temporarily used on almost any type of bottle prior to when a company finally got around to producing a permanent label of some type. I believe bib labels were primarily used during test marketing.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Items such as the one shown here are typically referred to as 'soda bottle display toppers' but it is the closest thing I can find that will give us some idea of what a paper bib label looks like. I'm not sure about the date of this particular item but believe it is 1950s or 1960s. By the way, if you ever come across any item with Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda on it, buy it because it could very well be one of the rarest soda pop items ever made. I have never even seen a picture of such an item and the only things I have seen references to are the bib labels themselves and a small cardboard sign that was designed to hang on the pull chains of store ceiling lights.

7up Bib Label.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This is the closest thing I have ever found that might be one of the small cardboard signs that hung on the pull chains of store ceiling lights. And the only reason I think it 'might' have been designed to hang from something is because it has a small hole at the top. I'm not sure about the date of this particular item but because of the wording suspect it is early 1930s.

7up Card Date Unknown.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just for the record ...

There were two individuals named Hamblett C Grigg

Note: I would have posted this earlier but just this morning connected the dots.

1. Hamblett Clark Grigg

Born: 1872
Died: 1964 - Age 92
Wife: Mary Maude Grigg
Younger brother of 7up founder, Charles Leiper Grigg, and referred to as Charles' partner in connection with the Howdy Company in 1921. The attached 1930 Census list him as an 'Office Clerk Soda Water Mfg.'

I haven't fully researched him and probably won't at this time, but just wanted establish that he was also involved with the 7up Company along with his brother Charles. Most references show Hamblett as some type of clerk, but beyond that I'm not sure what his entire role comprised of with either the Howdy or 7up Company.

2. Hamblett Charles Grigg

Born: 1906
Died: 1977 - Age 71
Son of Charles Leiper Grigg
Nephew of Hamblett Clark Grigg

[ 1930 U. S. Census - Shows ... Ham C Grigg - Charles L Grigg - Hamblett C Grigg ] [ Save and zoom for details ]

7up Hamblett Grigg 1930 Census (2).jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora