1 gallon Coke bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SoukaXO

Reaction score
Recently bought it at a yard sale and was wondering what year it is from. I was thinking 1920s but I could be wrong.
5a89a4ed59b9ba4315d43098eb605aee.jpg
69c23e9d0f6331df9538055a44e5fe95.jpg
553dd4784b89ac9eb1fb2e38c7cffde2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It's definitely not anywhere near as old as the 1920s, the Owens Illinois logo on the base only started being used in the 50s and that aluminum cap looks like something from the 70s or 80s. The label looks 70s-ish to me, but I'm not sure if they were using anti-tampering caps like that until after the 1982 Chicago Tylenol murders.

shadeone

Reaction score
The Coca-Cola “fishtail” logo came out in 1958. The cap is original to the bottle. This would have been a syrup jug meant to fill the dispensers in soda fountains in the late 50s and early 60s.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
They usually go about $20-$25. at yard sales. Yours looks to be in excellent condition. Its probably worth a little more. Congrats on the great pic! :)

SoukaXO

Reaction score
They usually go about $20-$25. at yard sales. Yours looks to be in excellent condition. Its probably worth a little more. Congrats on the great pic! :)
It was going for $10 but I managed to get it down to $8. There was another bottle without the cap that had a slightly better condition label (no little tears, etc) but I decided to go with the one that had the cap.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
"What would I have done?" Funny, + odd you should ask. Presuming the second one was as clean as the first, there was at least temporary room at home for both, and I had a few more bucks with me. I would have said "How about $15. for both?" (Success rate would probably be about 90%+.) Then you could switch the cap to whatever bottle you wanted it on and sell your least favorite at your next tag sale. Want to max out your profit? Get another cap! If you can't find one locally then you can contact me. I have one somewhere. We'll talk. ...("C'mon, you didn't see that one coming?! ;)") --Congrats on your great pic and thanks for sharing. :)

SoukaXO

Reaction score
"What would I have done?" Funny, + odd you should ask. Presuming the second one was as clean as the first, there was at least temporary room at home for both, and I had a few more bucks with me. I would have said "How about $15. for both?" (Success rate would probably be about 90%+.) Then you could switch the cap to whatever bottle you wanted it on and sell your least favorite at your next tag sale. Want to max out your profit? Get another cap! If you can't find one locally then you can contact me. I have one somewhere. We'll talk. ...("C'mon, you didn't see that one coming?! ;)") --Congrats on your great pic and thanks for sharing. :)
Sadly money was low from buying records so I couldn't get both but I'm planning on going next weekend to see if it's still there and maybe we can talk about that cap if I get it.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
SoukaXO,

Good luck in your quest. If nothing else your week will go a little faster.

Btw, I think CanadianBottles is correct about your cap being post 1982. People almost always try to substitute any cap that will fit in order to try and make it be complete for a sale.. I sometimes have to contain a laugh when I see a new wine cork shoved into a screw down closure. :) --If memory serves, my cap is white with red writing. Dug it in my own backyard amidst other mid-century discards.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Have the same one, I like the ingredients label actually makes mention of the cocaine being removed from the coca leaves.

Reactions: Len

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi