10 sided base & slug plate questions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
I'm just saying that I have enough experience and common sense to say that you may be surprised at what you can learn and discover. Presuming to KNOW that bottlers NEVER bottled beer in hutches is simply foolish arrogance
Pretending you know what they did is equally foolish.

"Soda and mineral water are carbonated drinks and they were bottled in Hutchinson bottles because the carbon dioxide exerted pressure on the surface of the liquid and the rubber disk at the bottom of the Hutchinson Patent Spring Stopper, and that pressure held the stopper in place so the liquid remained fully carbonated until the bottle was opened and the contents consumed. Beer at the time hutches were used is a "still" (not carbonated) drink and if it had been bottled in Hutchinsons, there would have been no internal pressure to hold the stopper in place in the neck of the bottle." - Ron Fowler, world renowned hutch expert

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
The one thing Beer had that carbonated drinks didn't have was Pasteurization which also exerted much pressure. if that pressure remained long enough to hold a hutchinson stopper in place I don't know? The Pressure happened during the Pasteurization Process but don't know if it remained or subsided. LEON.

Bohdan

Reaction score
Pretending you know what they did is equally foolish.

"Soda and mineral water are carbonated drinks and they were bottled in Hutchinson bottles because the carbon dioxide exerted pressure on the surface of the liquid and the rubber disk at the bottom of the Hutchinson Patent Spring Stopper, and that pressure held the stopper in place so the liquid remained fully carbonated until the bottle was opened and the contents consumed. Beer at the time hutches were used is a "still" (not carbonated) drink and if it had been bottled in Hutchinsons, there would have been no internal pressure to hold the stopper in place in the neck of the bottle." - Ron Fowler, world renowned hutch expert
I disagree. If you've ever made beer you will know about the gases ( and pressure) created in the process. Especially British & German brews.
NEVER say "never", son.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Be at peace. This is a very old argument and I have never witnessed any documented proof for either position. Hutchinson bottles are very cool in their own right regardless of what they held.

hemihampton

Reaction score
hmmm.
beergetalong.jpg

Bohdan

Reaction score
It's tough when someone who knows very little about bottles speaks as if he knows more than the guy who invented hutchbook, and who has all the knowledge 40+ years in the hobby regarding hutches....
Oh lighten up

… and never say "never".

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94