1830 shipwreck with bottles!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

butchndad

Reaction score
1648061474766.png

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
I'm salivating uncontrollably! I want the glass and the anchor!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
So, this thread got me recalling my very first contract as a Deepsea Diver - a 4-month stint in the Bay of Campeche', Mexico. The barge I worked on was known as a 'utility barge', in that it could do a number of tasks, however, its' principal task was to bury 36" pipeline into the seafloor. To do this, it utilized a huge, subsea A-frame / Sled, fitted with two racks of multi-directional, high pressure water jets. The sled was lowered over the stern of the barge, then down to working depth, where divers would position it over the pipeline, with racks extended to achieve the desired ditch depth. Once in position, huge compressors would flash up, pushing water out the jets at tremendous pressure and digging the trench. The sled a-frame was mounted on two large pontoons, allowing the sled to slide along the seafloor. Tug boats would take the ship's forward anchors well ahead on the barge's path, the anchor's windlasses would then slowly take up the anchor wires, pulling the the barge ( and the sled ) forward, 24/7.

We had been burying pipe for several days when all of a sudden, the bridle supporting the huge pipes that supplied compressed air to the hp water jets started to slacken; we were now 'ALL STOP' on forward movement until the problem was determined. Divers were sent down in the diving bell to investigate; I hurried to the Dive Control Room to see what the hold-up was. With the pumps shut down, the cloudy waters started to clear enough for the divers to see that the pipeline had been laid, unwittingly, right over a huge, wooden sailing ship! It crossed over almost at the midships area, on the port side of this wreck that was sitting almost even-keel on the seafloor! Visions of Spanish Galleons loaded with treasure filled me with excitement - we must explore this wreck & locate the treasure! Myself & the other 'Diver-Tenders' ( entry-level positions for new hires ) raced up to the Barge Control Center to discuss a plan of salvage with the King of the barge - "The BargeMaster."

The BargeMaster was a 400 lb. behemoth of a man from the bayous of Louisiana; he had a gnarly disposition and was known to run a tight ship, whilst chomping on fat cigars. As we hurried into his inner-sanctum, he fixed us with a withering stare and demanded to know "what youse scurvy water rats" were doing in his control room! We hurriedly explained why the sled had stopped and how we could all be rich if allowed to salvage the vast treasures contained in her holds. He looked at us like we were from another planet, then heaved his impressive bulk off of his command chair and bellowed: " Git that dam sled back to work and git yer sea-weedy arses outta my house!!"

To this day, I wonder just what that vessel was, what she carried and, just how close did we come to realizing every treasure-hunters dream...

DSD

Bad3555

Reaction score
So, this thread got me recalling my very first contract as a Deepsea Diver - a 4-month stint in the Bay of Campeche', Mexico. The barge I worked on was known as a 'utility barge', in that it could do a number of tasks, however, its' principal task was to bury 36" pipeline into the seafloor. To do this, it utilized a huge, subsea A-frame / Sled, fitted with two racks of multi-directional, high pressure water jets. The sled was lowered over the stern of the barge, then down to working depth, where divers would position it over the pipeline, with racks extended to achieve the desired ditch depth. Once in position, huge compressors would flash up, pushing water out the jets at tremendous pressure and digging the trench. The sled a-frame was mounted on two large pontoons, allowing the sled to slide along the seafloor. Tug boats would take the ship's forward anchors well ahead on the barge's path, the anchor's windlasses would then slowly take up the anchor wires, pulling the the barge ( and the sled ) forward, 24/7.

We had been burying pipe for several days when all of a sudden, the bridle supporting the huge pipes that supplied compressed air to the hp water jets started to slacken; we were now 'ALL STOP' on forward movement until the problem was determined. Divers were sent down in the diving bell to investigate; I hurried to the Dive Control Room to see what the hold-up was. With the pumps shut down, the cloudy waters started to clear enough for the divers to see that the pipeline had been laid, unwittingly, right over a huge, wooden sailing ship! It crossed over almost at the midships area, on the port side of this wreck that was sitting almost even-keel on the seafloor! Visions of Spanish Galleons loaded with treasure filled me with excitement - we must explore this wreck & locate the treasure! Myself & the other 'Diver-Tenders' ( entry-level positions for new hires ) raced up to the Barge Control Center to discuss a plan of salvage with the King of the barge - "The BargeMaster."

The BargeMaster was a 400 lb. behemoth of a man from the bayous of Louisiana; he had a gnarly disposition and was known to run a tight ship, whilst chomping on fat cigars. As we hurried into his inner-sanctum, he fixed us with a withering stare and demanded to know "what youse scurvy water rats" were doing in his control room! We hurriedly explained why the sled had stopped and how we could all be rich if allowed to salvage the vast treasures contained in her holds. He looked at us like we were from another planet, then heaved his impressive bulk off of his command chair and bellowed: " Git that dam sled back to work and git yer sea-weedy arses outta my house!!"

To this day, I wonder just what that vessel was, what she carried and, just how close did we come to realizing every treasure-hunters dream...

DSD
Great story my friend, Thank You!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I imagine that's what all the owners of big multi million dollar Construction Companies say to there Workers that hit a pile of 1850 Pontiled Bottles while Digging. LEON.

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
Get your history correct, don't spread misinformation. ". On the first day of January, 1808, a new Federal law made it illegal to import captive people from Africa into the United States. This date marks the end—the permanent, legal closure—of the trans-Atlantic slave trade into our country."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac