1940's era Coca Cola hobbleskirts found swimming

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
haven't found much of interest in the last couple weeks although have been finding a number of older coca cola bottles at various locations . 4 were found in a river near some docks , a location where I had previously found similar cokes . also found a couple near other docks or boat launches around the area .

the 6 in the picture are all marked the coca cola company of Canada ltd .

the bottle on the far left is from 1937 but the top is broken , other is 1943 and the next 4 , 2 are 1941 , a 1943 and oldest is from 1939 .

I'm not exactly sure why there is such a concentration of cokes from such a small time period in a small area near the river there. although there was a small hotel and possibly a small dance hall at some point , as well a docking place for boats for some time .

P8200002.jpgP8200003.jpgP8150001.jpg

Eric

Reaction score
Nice finds.. the hotel or especially the dance hall probably sold sodas out of a cool vintage cooler... folks taking a break from the dance probably drank the soda then threw the bottle into the water..
again nice finds...

adam.w.brymer

Reaction score
Cool! Is the clear glass coke a Canadian thing? I have only seen aqua color. Congratulations!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah Canada and I think some other places got clear Coke bottles. Unlike the American ones, ours don't have city names on the bottom, unfortunately.

RCO

Reaction score
Nice finds.. the hotel or especially the dance hall probably sold sodas out of a cool vintage cooler... folks taking a break from the dance probably drank the soda then threw the bottle into the water..
again nice finds...

looked thru some old postcards I have from that town and can confirm there was a building at the location where I keep finding the old coca cola bottles . the postcards refers to it as " boathouse and dance pavilion " and said it was for the nearby hotel . postcard is also marked 1945 , close to the age of the coke's I found

it appears the bottom half of the building was a boathouse and top half was a small dance hall . although this building is long gone and I can't ever remember it existing so must of been demolished years ago and unsure how long it operated for

RCO

Reaction score
Yeah Canada and I think some other places got clear Coke bottles. Unlike the American ones, ours don't have city names on the bottom, unfortunately.

I'd imagine if these had names on them , they'd be marked " Toronto " or " Gravenhurst " the location of our local coca cola bottlers

there could be much older bottles at this location , looking thru my postcards , one is from 1912 and shows the hotel and some docks there , so bottles from the 40's might be the tip of the iceberg , as its a river location and stuff is very likely hiding down there and just hard to get at

hemihampton

Reaction score
The older Cokes are probably deeper in the mud. LEON.

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
I still love finding those Cokes. I put 'em in wooden Coke crates and sell 'em to those car guys for their backyard "gas stations".

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado