Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I just got this 1968 10 ounce Mountain Dew Canadian version of the embossed Hillbilly bottle. This style with the Ya-hoo! / Hillbilly embossing was only made in 1968 and only in Canada. Its lettering is half French and half English. According to the Dick Bridgforth book, this is a common, but I went through EVERY listing on Ebay for a Mountain Dew bottle, and this is the only one I was able to find like this.

DSCN4383.JPG
DSCN4386.JPG
DSCN4391.JPG

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Very cool, there's one currently listed on Etsy, quite pricey I might add, after shipping and taxes $100. give or take.

Wow, I've never paid that much for any bottle. Probably a seller that knows it's the only one available on the site. The Bridgforth book is now 15 years old, so maybe the bottle has become more hard to find since that date of publication.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
It's not one I've come across very often - not sure I've ever come across one at all actually. I think that Etsy seller might just be overcharging though - this one sold for ten bucks a couple months ago https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mountain-De...m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true
I think the Etsy seller is definitely overcharging too. However that bottle on Ebay that sold for $21.50 total had a chip in it, which is probably why it went so cheap.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I think the Etsy seller is definitely overcharging too. However that bottle on Ebay that sold for $21.50 total had a chip in it, which is probably why it went so cheap.
Oh I didn't notice that, yeah if a chipped NDNR goes for that much it must be a more desirable one.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Well first off, I hate to say it but the book of is wrong, it's not the first thing I've come across that is incorrect in that book, but as mentioned the guide is 15 years old, but also the problem with that is collectors take it as the gospel. There is a US embossed one, but with the Ya hoo! embossed on the other side instead of beside the hillbilly, have you seen it before?
So 1968 was not the only year this bottle was produced, I have a 1966 from Dominion Glass and suspect there is a 65, so production years were from 65-70.
Your example is from May/June 1970 and is from Dominion Glass, the link that CB posted shows one from 1967 but made by Consumers glass.
As for rarity it is common, but can be elusive at times. It does have great appeal to many collectors and is always a wanted item IMO
Hope this helps you out...cheers!

Last edited:

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Well first off, I hate to say it but the book of is wrong, it's not the first thing I've come across that is incorrect in that book, but as mentioned the guide is 15 years old, but also the problem with that is collectors take it as the gospel. There is a US embossed one, but with the Ya hoo! embossed on the other side instead of beside the hillbilly, have you seen it before?
So 1968 was not the only year this bottle was produced, I have a 1966 from Dominion Glass and suspect there is a 65, so production years were from 65-70.
Your example is from May/June 1970 and is from Dominion Glass, the link that CB posted shows one from 1967 but made by Consumers glass.
As for rarity it is common, but can be elusive at times. It does have great appeal to many collectors is always wanted item IMO
Hope this helps you out...cheers!
Thank you for the correction and information on this. So the "0" on the heel stands for 1970? And the " l__l " mark must stand for May/June? I don't think I've ever seen the U.S. version. And if I did, I'd probably try to buy it ASAP. It's times like this where I wish original forum post titles were allowed to be edited and fixed. I can't change it from 1968 to 1970.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Your Welcome!

Yes that is correct, the lines are called box code, I = Jan/Feb , I__ = March/April , and so on until it forms a box with a cross in it for the final Nov/ Dec months.
This is the US version.....I'm not aware of the actual year on this example.
I'm one of the very few with the privilege of being able to edit my postings at any time I wish.
1663097322439.png
1663097345055.png

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Your Welcome!

Yes that is correct, the lines are called box code, I = Jan/Feb , I__ = March/April , and so on until it forms a box with a cross in it for the final Nov/ Dec months.
This is the US version.....I'm not aware of the actual year on this example.
I'm one of the very few with the privilege of being able to edit my postings at any time I wish.
View attachment 239892View attachment 239893
Oh yes. I'm aware of this version. I just saw it recently. But I don't see Ya-hooo! on it anywhere. But I still love how it looks. I think there is huge interest in 1970's and 1960's NDNR bottles now. People who grew up seeing these now want to own them again.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora