20's - 30's era dump found in the woods

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you would have even been able to buy a single bottle of embalming fluid over the counter. Maybe the local undertaker was distributing it to other people for this mysterious second use?

I'm curious, do other collectors often find single embalming fluid bottles in farm dumps? It seems to be a fairly common thing to see on the Quebec forums, and I've found them, but not sure if it's a worldwide phenomenon or only localized around here.

did it contain alcohol or any other possible contents people would want

not sure what was in it so tough to come up with alternative uses

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
did it contain alcohol or any other possible contents people would want

not sure what was in it so tough to come up with alternative uses
Likely had some alcohol, but I can't imagine you could drink the stuff considering how much formaldehyde was in it. And most of these embalming fluid bottles seem to date from after Prohibition ended, which would be the only time that it could conceivably make sense for anyone to be trying to drink weird and presumably not particularly cheap specialty products to get drunk. Prohibition in Ontario was hardly strict enough to drive anyone to embalming fluid anyway, since wine could still be legally purchased quite easily and it was not particularly difficult to get a prescription for alcohol from your doctor - and that's ignoring the widespread illegal options. I imagine that even under Prohibition alcohol was probably considerably easier to purchase than embalming fluid anyway.
I wonder if maybe these bottles didn't actually contain standard embalming fluid, but maybe some other product related to the embalming process which could have a secondary use? But I don't know anywhere near enough about embalming to speculate on that.

RCO

Reaction score
Likely had some alcohol, but I can't imagine you could drink the stuff considering how much formaldehyde was in it. And most of these embalming fluid bottles seem to date from after Prohibition ended, which would be the only time that it could conceivably make sense for anyone to be trying to drink weird and presumably not particularly cheap specialty products to get drunk. Prohibition in Ontario was hardly strict enough to drive anyone to embalming fluid anyway, since wine could still be legally purchased quite easily and it was not particularly difficult to get a prescription for alcohol from your doctor - and that's ignoring the widespread illegal options. I imagine that even under Prohibition alcohol was probably considerably easier to purchase than embalming fluid anyway.
I wonder if maybe these bottles didn't actually contain standard embalming fluid, but maybe some other product related to the embalming process which could have a secondary use? But I don't know anywhere near enough about embalming to speculate on that.

judging by the amount of broken liquor bottles at that site , they didn't have any trouble acquiring liquor at the time

likely go back there again on Friday and see what else I can find , seems to be some stuff well hidden although mostly broken but may still be the odd non broken bottle

RCO

Reaction score
Cool coke bottle, those undated ones are definetly hard to find, probly 20's like you said

found a lot of coke bottles over the years but don't have this version in good condition , also an odd aqua colour

whatever reason the bottles from 20's > early 30's are hard to find especially in good condition , despite the fact coca cola was popular at the time

RCO

Reaction score
i went back on Friday but as you can see I didn't really find much

only a couple un broken bottles , a ketchup , small screw top bottle

some broken green beer bottles , glass jars , liquor , whiskey

broken bottle bottoms which appear to be from milk jugs but no parts with names

glass cup , broken china made in England

if I'm bored and nearby I might still poke around at it some more in case there is anything else well hidden or an interesting broken shard to be found

20210822_171701.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
went back the other day and found more broken stuff , such as glass jars , liquor bottles etc

1 not broken bottle a small 4 oz glass jar , just seems like such an odd size being that small , not sure what they would of put in it

not sure what else is still there but conditions are better now than when I first found it , not as hot and no bugs , so might go back with metal detector and see if I can find any other areas with stuff

20210829_153916.jpg

DSC04305.JPG

RCO

Reaction score
went back yesterday and found more areas with broken bottles , more liquor , glass jars , some corked bottles , whiskey

a broken embalming fluid bottle identical to the one I found earlier

an odd " lady " print , very small shows a lady with brown hair ( pic is close to actual size )

a couple not broken bottles , white glass jar ,small non embossed druggist ( when I pulled it out was like please have embossing but no )

Tilley's Klean O - not sure what this one is for , never seen it before but is corked and appears older
20210904_105019.jpg
DSC04311.JPG
DSC04307.JPG

DSC04321.JPG

RCO

Reaction score
went back the other day but didn't really find much

more broke glass jars and liquor bottles , part of a Philips blue magnesium bottle .

not broken screw top bottle , small glass ice cream bowl broken on bottom part

my new theory is this stuff was not dumped here rather dumped somewhere else and brought to this location as fill . which is why so much is broken . the old town dump is nearby and think that's where it came from . its been dug into before and its a parking lot now and has buildings around it

so I didn't find a dump rather fill from the dump which was used to put a small drive way into this lot which goes up a hill but is nothing here just trees . at some point in the past ? not sure when this was built but likely some time ago

20210907_124011.jpg
20210907_124053.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi