3 new marble finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Timelypicken

Reaction score
I would like to any info in these marbles i found today. A year and who made them would be nice

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    953.6 KB · Views: 409
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    972.3 KB · Views: 415

treeguyfred

Reaction score
I'm really sorry to say that after digging though various sources of info on line (i haven't had the time to crack open any books) I can't definitively identify these. Maybe with more individual close ups it could help...(I've seen a lot of marbles in my time, but not all types)...
Still wanting to help you ID these,
~Fred

Timelypicken

Reaction score
Here are some close ups. Thanks for trying

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    772.6 KB · Views: 409
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 380
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 416

embe

Reaction score
1st = game marble (like Chinese Checkers)
2nd = clearie marble,
3rd = patch marble, Vitro and Akro made a lot of these in the US (as did other companies), the "seams" are a bit rough, so it could be foreign.

Nice finds, but probably not a whole lot of value other than sentimental. Age-wise, they made these styles or a while, so anything from the 1930's to now. I'd put my guess around the 1950's based on the patch.

Keep digging!

Timelypicken

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I would never sell any toys I found while hunting only bottles, because I don’t care a ton about bottles than I do toys. I found a ball jar I’m putting all my marbles and other smalls in right now.

treeguyfred

Reaction score
I can't definitively identify these. Maybe with more individual close ups it could help.
OK, so, when I said I couldn't DEFINITIVELY identify these I referring to the question who made and when.... the answer that was given I could have given off cuff but I didn't want to be generic I still don't have definitive info but ... I'd accept that yes first one is probably a game mib, second one is certainly translucent so it sort of qualifies as a "cleary" and Cleary was a marble made first by Akro Agate and it needs to be examined closely for certain traits. But clear single color and no color were so mass produced and they were made for so many toys and even sling shots. Also they were made for industrys like canned spray paint cans or Codd stopper bottles, kids would open both for the marbles inside. The clear / colorless marbles were used in stop signs and R/R crossing signs to give the sign a bright flash in the night when light hit them. Colored clear(translucent or transparent) marbles were also used in decorating and aquariums. They cannot be precisely identified to an age nor manufacturer.

Now getting to the "patch" I was asking for the close ups mostly for that one. I wished to see it's poles for the crimps and the seams orientations. and to see if there was any partly opacity in the colors. I was hoping to see or rule out if the crimps showed the Freese Improvement or not. Frankly I have handled and examined over 100,000 marbles at shows and sales over my years and that three color patch doesn't present like an Akro or any other American made mib- I'm heavily leaning towards a foreign marble possibly Asia, India or south of the border (Mexico).

Thanks for the challenge and keep posting!
~Fred

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Hey Fred, just one question. Does fluorescent and phosphorescent qualities add value to a marble?
ROBBYBOBBY64.

treeguyfred

Reaction score
Does fluorescent and phosphorescent qualities add value to a marble?
I'm familiar with fluorescent glass, it's caused by uranium oxide being present in the glass batch which dates it prior to 1940's I believe. That is the value....it helps date the glass and suggests that the glass item is old not foreign made recent....But! It's not fail safe bc some foreign and even US glass artisans are getting old cullet from old factories and dump sites..... so either dig it yourself or purchase from reputable knowledgeable ppl. Phosphorescence... is another dealie... and I'm not so familiar ..but, I'm of the understanding that that is new 1999 and later.
~Fred

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Thanks Fred. I see some from a good man i bought from before. Unbelievable prices, plus he gives me money off every item i want and he combines shipping. He is also a Pastor. So God willing, i am safe.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Timelypicken

Reaction score
Thanks Fred. I see some from a good man i bought from before. Unbelievable prices, plus he gives me money off every item i want and he combines shipping. He is also a Pastor. So God willing, i am safe.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Will you share your secret person. I’m curios what he’s got if he’s on eBay

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora