5 CENTS Universal Store Bottle -age?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
You'd be surprised at how far back they used 5 cent deposits. The farther back you go the more five cents was worth, but the more bottles were worth as well. In BC there's a company which marked the deposits on a lot of their bottles. These are crude applied lip internal thread and Codd bottles, and they're marked with three or five cent deposits - and one bottle from a branch location in a more remote city is marked with a whopping twelve cent deposit, more than the deposits are today!
In the case of the milk bottle being discussed, it's almost certainly from 1945.

That’s really interesting about the deposits. I didn’t think about making the bottles, further back before automated bottle machines, how much more work would have gone into making them- and naturally they were more valuable, earlier. Now u have me curious about what the deposits were here in Redding… because when I was a kid, I remember we were city people when they changed the population signs to read 9000 people! I keep running into old local bottles, and was surprised that they even had a glass house here. My dad was also raised here. We were literally in the boondocks- like a 3 cow town. I think we are over 100000, now? Anyway, thanks for schooling me! (But as much as old bottles were worth, back then, apparently dirt was worth more- they filled the privies with glass when it could have been dirt. lucky for us! I guess that was killing 2 birds with 1 stone by getting rid of the trash, as well.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That’s really interesting about the deposits. I didn’t think about making the bottles, further back before automated bottle machines, how much more work would have gone into making them- and naturally they were more valuable, earlier. Now u have me curious about what the deposits were here in Redding… because when I was a kid, I remember we were city people when they changed the population signs to read 9000 people! I keep running into old local bottles, and was surprised that they even had a glass house here. My dad was also raised here. We were literally in the boondocks- like a 3 cow town. I think we are over 100000, now? Anyway, thanks for schooling me! (But as much as old bottles were worth, back then, apparently dirt was worth more- they filled the privies with glass when it could have been dirt. lucky for us! I guess that was killing 2 birds with 1 stone by getting rid of the trash, as well.)

Yeah it's quite surprising that anyone would have been throwing out bottles with a twelve cent deposit back then. Though I have no idea how many of them were actually thrown out because if they're very rare it could be that the vast majority were returned. I'm not sure what deposits looked like around the rest of the world, it could be that bottles were cheaper in areas with closer access to glass factories. In BC they were so remote back then that the bottlers would order their soda bottles all the way from factories in England! I don't remember seeing embossed deposit values on early soda bottles from anywhere else, if anyone knows of any others I'd be very curious to see.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I have a question, because the lake here, for the first time since it was filled back in the late 30’s- shockingly looks like this- even worse now , as this was a month ago:
IMG]
So the thought occurred that things are going to show up that have been covered for a long time- how do you locate what’s under the muck? Do you use a probe?
You can use a hay fork to probe for glass hidden in the muck. Avoid probing the toe of your rubber boot when your arms get tired. o_O

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado