5" Whiskey

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mingoman64

Reaction score
Embossed Taylor & Williams incorporated Louisville KY.
I see its a whiskey, but anyone know the purpose of such a small one?
c7973e3dbf5dc6fbc06240fa948baf23.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

willong

Reaction score
I see its a whiskey, but anyone know the purpose of such a small one?
Perhaps it is merely a small snort size before there were airlines :p overcharging for such. Sometimes called sample size, though I doubt if such were ever handed out free--maybe they were provided to passengers riding first-class on Wells Fargo stagecoaches to smooth the bumps when crossing the badlands ;).

Modern miniatures typically hold 50ML and are smaller dimensions than your bottle. If your T&W bottle holds more than a couple fluid ounces it might have been Taylor & Williams' approach to what other distillers would have sold in a small flask while maintaining the trademark form. (I have one of the "fifth" size that I dug in an old logging camp.) Is yours even a half-pint capacity--have you poured water into it to determine its volume?

Last edited:

willong

Reaction score
Perhaps it is merely a small snort size before there were airlines :p. Sometimes called sample size, though I doubt if such were ever handed out free--maybe when riding first-class on a Wells Fargo stagecoach ;).

Modern miniatures typically hold 50ML and are smaller dimensions than your bottle. If your T&W bottle holds more than a couple fluid ounces it might have been Taylor & Williams' approach to what other distillers would have sold in a small flask while maintaining the trademark form. (I have one of the "fifth" size that I dug in an old logging camp.) Is yours even a half-pint capacity--have you poured water into it to determine its volume?
I searched online after posting the previous reply. I see another example also described as a "miniature."

Moreover, multiple examples in Google images show that Taylor & Williams did also market their whiskey in typical flat flasks; so, that probably explodes one of my theories.

Reactions: Roy

mingoman64

Reaction score
I searched online after posting the previous reply. I see another example also described as a "miniature."

Moreover, multiple examples in Google images show that Taylor & Williams did also market their whiskey in typical flat flasks; so, that probably explodes one of my theories.
My wife had mentioned the airline samples. I told her it would have had to been the Wright Brothers.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky