50+ years of privy digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flasks

Reaction score
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was hoping to see. This style was made in Germany around 1850 and was single gathered by hand and finished with a ground/faceted pontil. It would actually pre-date the other German glass marbles, and definitely the machine made marbles it was grouped with.

Any of those older ones looking for a new home I'd make some space on my display for :)
If the wife and myself decide to downsize due to our age we will be selling a lot of our found treasures. In the case of the marbles, all would go for one price. I don't know what this site permits as to buying and selling but if it does permit buying and selling leave me your contact information, name and price for ALL. P.S. You have a fantastic display!

oldmill101

Reaction score
Those are very nice marbles you’ve dug. I got started collecting marbles after I found a few hundred at one bottle dump 5 years ago that’s all it took for me to get hooked on them. I’d be interested in them I’m going to send you a private message

Flasks

Reaction score
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was hoping to see. This style was made in Germany around 1850 and was single gathered by hand and finished with a ground/faceted pontil. It would actually pre-date the other German glass marbles, and definitely the machine made marbles it was grouped with.

Any of those older ones looking for a new home I'd make some space on my display for :)
Looking more carefully in that bowl of old marbles I may have another one of those older marbles you said predate the bulk of the others. It's very hard to get a picture of it but it's basic color is red but the inside shows similar "galaxy" like pattern. Are you J.Q. by any chance? I took a picture of one of the really small marbles...it has gold colored flakes in streaks. I only found one of those.

Attachments

• IMG_0509 (2).JPG
    IMG_0509 (2).JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0510 (2).JPG
    IMG_0510 (2).JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0507 (2).JPG
    IMG_0507 (2).JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 309

Cbtengr

Reaction score
I thought some of you "marble" people might enjoy seeing the results of digging early privies for over 50 years concentrating on civil war period and a little later, My wife's and my targets were bitters bottles and other bottles of that period acquiring quite an extensive collectionView attachment 202773View attachment 202774View attachment 202775. We did find marbles frequently and put them aside as many were beautifully made. We're now in our 80's and no longer able to dig but we proudly display these marbles. We don't follow the values of these early marbles but I would imagine some have considerable value. We separated them into what we believe are categories, i.e., hand made, transitional and clay/ceramic. I will later on post some pictures of bottles we've found.
I thought some of you "marble" people might enjoy seeing the results of digging early privies for over 50 years concentrating on civil war period and a little later, My wife's and my targets were bitters bottles and other bottles of that period acquiring quite an extensive collectionView attachment 202773View attachment 202774View attachment 202775. We did find marbles frequently and put them aside as many were beautifully made. We're now in our 80's and no longer able to dig but we proudly display these marbles. We don't follow the values of these early marbles but I would imagine some have considerable value. We separated them into what we believe are categories, i.e., hand made, transitional and clay/ceramic. I will later on post some pictures of bottles we've found.

Cbtengr

Reaction score
A couple of those look familiar I think I may have lost them. Very nice collection.

embe

Reaction score
Looking more carefully in that bowl of old marbles I may have another one of those older marbles you said predate the bulk of the others. It's very hard to get a picture of it but it's basic color is red but the inside shows similar "galaxy" like pattern. Are you J.Q. by any chance? I took a picture of one of the really small marbles...it has gold colored flakes in streaks. I only found one of those.

-Red one looks like a more common machine made slag, but thanks for checking.
-Not sure who J.Q. is?
-Small one is German, the gold flakes are referred to as Lutz. Probably around 1900 +/- 10 years. Lutz marbles are collectible.

RNorwood

Reaction score
I am not a marble collector and have little knowledge of them, but these are the most beautiful marbles I have ever seen.

Mouse369

Reaction score
Beautiful. Wish I had the opportunity to did for stuff

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi