58 and 1858

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deepwoods

Reaction score
Are the jars embosssed Mason's Patent Nov 30 58 as common as the 1858s? I dont have a Redbook, but my bottle book dosnt have this variant listed. Thanks.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey John, these were known as the Christmas Masons because of the style of lettering. (This is from the red book). There are a lot of variations of this jar so if you can be more specific we can narrow it down. From what I can tell in my Red Book, the lowest value is $60.00 and the highest is $2000.00. (the latter being a pt. light amber.) I'm sure one of our jar guru's can help you more but I hope this helps. Kelley
PS. Most of the values tend to run in the $100.00-$150.00 range.

cookie

Reaction score
Post a couple of pictures-I'd be glad to try and help-John

poorjodie

Reaction score
The Christmas Mason is just one of several Mason jars with the 58 date instead of the 1858. A pint Mason's Patent Nov 30th 58 with Ball on the reverse is a $20 jar and the same pint jar with Mason's Patent Nov 30th 1858 and Ball on the reverse is worth $15 so either they are rarer or just more desirable. Across the board the 58's list slightly higher to comparable jars with 1858.

capsoda

Reaction score
I think you are right about the 58s not being all that much rarer but more sought after. the Christmas Mason is not all that rare either but every collector wants them so the will always be up there. Kind of like the Flaccus jars, there are plenty but everyone wants them.

bobclay

Reaction score
Hi all,

It is "suspected" that most, if not all of the plain "58" jars were Ball made in the late 1880s and early 1890s because there are several examples that have Ball on them. Likewise with the Christmas Mason, many of them were Ball made. Both types with the glass insert and screw band and ones with the zinc cap closure. I think an amber midget pint sold on ebay a while back with just the 58 embossing.

The old gray matter isn't working well tonight, but I don't recall seeing any size other than pints (both midget and standard) with just the plain "58" instead of the full 1858. The Redbook lists a quart, but I just haven't or don't recall, seeing one before.

Bob

hemihampton

Reaction score
Me & my Buddy just dug a Mason that only had the 58 on it & we thought it was odd. LEON.

Nickolas_

Reaction score
Me & my Buddy just dug a Mason that only had the 58 on it & we thought it was odd. LEON.
They are out there but you have to look around and be patient. Most are in collections and show up on auctions. I had around a dozen at one time with midgets and pints mixed but all got sold but two. I was forced to sell my jars back in 08 when I list my job. Some I'll never get back for being too scarce or rare. I've always looked for the 58 jars and also HAHNE & Co jars which also are "58" only variants.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora