7up 7oz Anomalies

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bad3555

Reaction score
Have have any of you 7up collectors ever seen this before ? The 1957 bottle on the left has a bright red background as opposed to the orang-ish normal background. And the 1959 bottle on the right has as extra two dots on either side of the top logo. Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
DSCN0477.JPG
DSCN0474.JPG

shadeone

Reaction score
Dots on necks were usually meant to indicate that it was for vending machines as far as I know...

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Dots on necks were usually meant to indicate that it was for vending machines as far as I know...
Huh, I've never heard that before. Was there anything different about the bottles used in vending machines? I would have assumed that they would just use the standard bottles from the local bottler, seems like it would be a hassle to separate them.

shadeone

Reaction score
I just read it was so a retailers knew they came from a vending machine and no deposit was paid.
I'm guessing larger places with multiple sources of selling soda could request dotted bottles specifically?
I really hope someone actually officially knows because I've just read this on a few Facebook posts...

iggyworf

Reaction score
I am a 7up collector and I have bottles with varying shades of orange and one or two close to the red you have. I am not sure why that is though. The two you have look like from the same bottler just different years. I have a lot of Pepsi bottles with dots on and around the neck. never knew why either. You would think by then 7up would want all bottlers to use the same color shade.

Bad3555

Reaction score
I am a 7up collector and I have bottles with varying shades of orange and one or two close to the red you have. I am not sure why that is though. The two you have look like from the same bottler just different years. I have a lot of Pepsi bottles with dots on and around the neck. never knew why either. You would think by then 7up would want all bottlers to use the same color shade.
It's just so odd how different color it is...thanks for the comments my friend!

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Kinda off topic but the last very old 7-Up bottle I ever found was from the ocean and there was a crab living inside it. The crab had lived inside the bottle so long that it had grown too big to get out. I figured I could break the bottle to free the crab but I didn't want to break the bottle because it was a nice bottle, at the same time I also didn't want to take the bottle with the crab stuck inside because I didn't want the crab to die. So I left the bottle in the ocean so eventually the crab will live out its life protected inside the bottle and someone else could find the bottle 100 years from now and appreciate it.

Bad3555

Reaction score
Kinda off topic but the last very old 7-Up bottle I ever found was from the ocean and there was a crab living inside it. The crab had lived inside the bottle so long that it had grown too big to get out. I figured I could break the bottle to free the crab but I didn't want to break the bottle because it was a nice bottle, at the same time I also didn't want to take the bottle with the crab stuck inside because I didn't want the crab to die. So I left the bottle in the ocean so eventually the crab will live out its life protected inside the bottle and someone else could find the bottle 100 years from now and appreciate it.
Cool story...Made me smile!

Bad3555

Reaction score
I just read it was so a retailers knew they came from a vending machine and no deposit was paid.
I'm guessing larger places with multiple sources of selling soda could request dotted bottles specifically?
I really hope someone actually officially knows because I've just read this on a few Facebook posts...
I don't doubt that may have been the reason, but like our friend CananadianBottles said, what a lot of trouble that would create to have separate bottles. What would the incentive be to return the empties, once they left the original location? Would a retailer or store refuse to give you credit when you brought a two dot in their store? If they thought they could keep those bottles returned at their original location it looks like that could be difficult as I would think alot of the drinks got hauled off from those pop machines, I don't know, head scratcher to me, thanks for the info shadeone!

BottleDiver94

Reaction score
I am the Director of Albion Field Station in California and when I can I dive for bottles in the river. I have found three bottles with shells from clams inside them that were long dead but the shells are still inside them. The shells are far too large to come out of the bottle so I have them in my collection that way. They are some of my favorite bottles. I have also found several bottles still full of liquid with corks in them.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis