7up Paper Label Very 1st?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score
Here is a 7up bottle I got back in Jan 2020. With the help of non other than SodaBob aka SodaPopBob. It's a paper label that he and now I believe to be the earliest PL 7up made. Bob did some good research on this label and bottle. He has one as well. I will quote a lot of Bob's findings(with his kind permission). It is a Root bottle possibly dating to 1932. And we believe the label dates 1931. Notice in the upper right of the label where it says 'Drink After Eating-Before Retiring-On Arising-' No other labels we have seen have this on them. I have seen another bottle on ebay with this label, but it is in poor condition. And with Bobs research of the Squeeze Bottling works, he has come to that conclusion. Although not 100% for certain of course.
100_3371.JPG

My bottle

'SodaBob':I looked around some more and still can't find another one like it from Kokomo - Based on some research I did when I got mine, I determined that the label and slogan MIGHT be one of, if not the VERY FIRST paper label that 7up ever used. I'm attaching a couple of pictures of my bottle/label - which still has what appears to be the original cap. As it stands now, our labels with that particular slogan are the only known examples that I am aware of.
bobs.jpg

Bobs bottle

Sodabob: Jan 9 2020, I have been at this most of the day and ranking the Kokomo, Indiana / Squeez Bottling Works / Paper Label / 7up Bottle as ...

Extremely Rare ~ Only Known Example !!!

SodaBob Jan 9 2020, The plot thickens ...

I just concluded some fairly extensive research and discovered that ALL of the following bottlers were located at ...

1041 South Union Street in Kokomo, Indiana ...

1929 to 1937 = Squeeze Bottling Works
1937 to 1940 = Dekle Coal & Beverage Co
1940 to 1947 = Dekle Double Cola Bottling
1947 to ???? = Tom Joyce 7up Bottling Co

I did some double checking and this should be accurate within a year or two. If so, then the Kokomo 7up bottle that's currently on eBay(the one I was able to get) is likely no later than 1937 - with the embossed 32 on the heel looking pretty good for a possible 1932.

SodaBob jan 10 2020, Hopefully your bid on the Kokomo bottle will nab it. Even though the paper label might not be original to the bottle itself (which is almost impossible to determine and confirm) the paper label is what I consider to be extremely rare and the only known example I am aware of after spending a couple of hours looking for another one like it. The one I own is a six ounce and has Tyler Bros. on the paper label, but no location. The only embossing on the bottle is the number 8 on the base, and no way to know for certain if the bottle and the label are original to one another.

SodaBob jan 10 2020, One thing I can tell you if you don't already know, is that between about 1929 and 1934 when the 7up company first got going, Charles Grigg instructed his franchisees to use ANY bottles they could get their hands on, which included both amber as well as green bottles. At that time the company was disorganized and had not figured out the bottle supply issues yet. It wasn't until they introduced their first ACL bottles in 1935-36 that they (sort of) got organized. This early disorganization explains the white and orange swimsuits, as well as other variations such as embossed neck rings, different slogans, etc.

Last edited:

iggyworf

Reaction score
More pics of the bottle,

100_3376 edit.jpg

100_3392 edit.jpg

Me, Jan 15 2020, Bob got the bottle today! Fast shipping! It is a 'ROOT' Bottle. Embossed on the heel as well as the #32 and 313A or 373A. I don't want to scratch off the label to see if it is a 1 or a 7. I tried to get good pics of everything. Let me know what you think.
. I will try to look up the bottle also. Now what makes this label possibly the 1st PL is the 'Line' under the 'UP' portion? Very hard to get a good pic of the '313A' bottom left of the label. Nothing on the bottom of the bottle, one tiny chip on the bottom otherwise the bottle is in good shape. The label is attatched very good to the bottle.

SodaBob Jan 15 2020, Super Cool! ROOT started dating their bottles in 1909 and continued until they were fully "absorbed" into the Owens Illinois Glass Company in 1932. I can't speak for the label yet, but I would say the bottle itself is almost definitely a 1932. At this juncture I mostly interested in dating the label, which the 313A leads me to believe is for 1931. So I think its safe to assume at this point that you have a 1931 label on a 1932 bottle. Based on what I know about 7up paper labels, its the SLOGAN in the upper right corner that is extremely rare. Your example and my example are the ONLY two labels I have ever seen that have that particular slogan. If its not the earliest slogan/label, then its definitely one of the first. The earliest newspaper ad I have ever seen for 7up is from 1931, which I am attaching. The ad will be included in the article I am currently working on because the LARGE 7 is similar to the LARGE 7 on the 1935 "Alkaline" bottle that I am also attaching.

SodaBob Jan 15 2020, Correction ...

Originally, I thought the 313A was on the paper label - but just re-read what you said and see now that the 313A is on the bottle itself. So disregard what I said about the label being a 1931. We will have to figure out some way of dating the label itself. All I can say at the moment is that Squeeze Bottling changed names and/or ceased operating in 1937. I will do some additional research about Kokomo / Squeeze and see what I can find. Sometimes even a phone number will help narrow things down.

Bob has informed me recently he is having comp probs, but hopes to be online soon.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Did someone mention my name? ;)

Hey, Rich

Super cool bottle. I wish mine was in that good of shape. The label fell off of mine a long time ago and I had to laminate in plastic to try and preserve it.

First Question: On the lower part of the label does it have either of the following ...

1. Howdy Co.
2. Seven Up Co.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Bob, no it does not.

It's difficult looking up 7up paper label slogans.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Rich

That sort of puts things into a Good-news / Bad-news type of scenario when attempting to date the label.

The bottle itself is definitely a ROOT 1932. Unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily date the label because it might have been added later.

If it had Seven Up Co. on the label it would likely date it to 1935 or later - which wouldn't be early enough to be a very first. They went by the Howdy Co. until around 1935-36. The earliest known dates for 7-Up in any manner are 1928-29, with national advertising kicking in around 1931.

Without the Howdy Co. or the Seven Up Co. on the label, it makes it a LOT more difficult to date. So we will have to take a closer look at things and figure our some other way to date the label itself. Even though I suspect that it might be the very first label, that doesn't confirm it - and I'm all about confirmation these day.

The best I can come up with at the moment is this ad. It is the absolute earliest ad I have ever found for 7-Up ...

7up 1931 The Burlington Hawk-Eye Burlington Iowa Dec 25, 1931.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Notice the label has "REG. U.S. PAT. OFF." on it under the 7up

That's a significant clue. Now compare that to the dates on these original documents. Also notice that both documents have "The Howdy Company" Especially notice the "August 7, 1928" That's the earliest date known no matter how you slice it.

7up Trademark Word 1928  1929.jpg

7up Trademark Logo 1928 1935 1936.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

Speaking of slogans, could you please post (write) EVERY word that's on your label. I realize the photos you posted have most of them, but they are a little hard to make out and I want to be sure I don't miss something. And you are right, its difficult to find and determine every slogan ever used on the paper labels. I'm currently working on a project to try and find every paper label ever used by 7-Up, buts its going to take a LONG time to accomplish and I will eventually let you know what I come up with.

By the way, even though I have access to hundreds of newspaper ads and articles from Kokomo, Indiana, I have been unable to find a Squeeze Bottling ad earlier than about 1945 indicating they sold 7-Up. Ads earlier than 1945 show the numerous brands they sold, but for some unknown reason not 7-Up. I'm not sure what to make of this at the moment, and will continue searching, but it could be that your particular bottle was a one-time event. ???

iggyworf

Reaction score
100_3374.JPG

"An ant-beverage for home or hospital. The alka-
line reaction adds to the alkalinity of the blood. No drink
is ????ptable to the ladies. As a mixer, it is especially (probb(acceptable))
desirable. Takes the "ouch" out of grouch,

SQUEEZE BOTTLING WORKS
Phone 4651 Kokomo, Ind.
contents: 7 fl. oz.
printed in usa

100_3375.JPG

7up reg u.s.pat off
LITHIATED
LEMON SODA

100_3377 edit.jpg

Drink after eating-
before Retiring-
On Arising-

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Rich - Mucho appreciated

Too bad the label doesn't have their address - that would help as well. But the phone number is the next best thing. I will post some ads later, but as near as I can determine at the moment, they started using the 4651 number in 1931-32. In 1929 and 1930, their phone number was 146-W

SODABOB

Reaction score
Using phone numbers and addresses, I was able to determine that the Squeeze Bottling Works was located at 1041 South Union Street between 1929 and 1936. In 1937, that same location was occupied by the "Dekle Coal & Beverage Company." And in 1942 the Double Cola Bottling occupied the same address. The weird part is that I still can't find any ads and/or indications whatsoever that the Squeeze Bottling Works sold 7-Up between 1929 and 1936. So, something is fishy in Denmark - or should I say "Kokomo"

I'll be back with more as time allows.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu