7up Paper Label Very 1st?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

Yes, I remember those Decals. Apparently they are fantasy reproductions from the 1970s.

There is a set of them currently on eBay ...

I don't know who originally promoted them, but they seem to be some type of giveaway. But regardless of that, ya gotta wonder where they came up with the various dates - especially the one dated 1931. Even though I don't consider the 1931 decal as definitive proof that your label is also from 1931, I won't deny that its a pretty dang good clue in our favor.

7up Decals Reproductions eBay April 2016 .jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hemi

To Clarify ...

Bottlers ordered paper labels by the thousands and generally kept using them until they ran out - at which time they would reorder more, and so on. So it would not be surprising to find an older paper label on a newer bottle, no matter what the brand. Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola bottlers followed the same practice. The Seven Up Company did not become fully Standardized until around 1950 - which also explains why there is a seemingly never-ending variation of ACL bottles, slogans, and labels.

Last edited:

iggyworf

Reaction score
I agree with Bob but also with Hemi to a point. I 'm sure some people take labels real or fake and put them on bottles to sell. I am hoping my bottle in question is the real mcoy so to speak. the label does look authentic to me even under my magnifying glass. It is still applyed extremely well to the bottle with no flakey corners. Not sure if that is a good sign or not yet.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

Good point! A collector or seller might have glued the label to your bottle in recent years - and every time it changed hands its true origin gets lost. That's why we should never try and date a paper label based on the bottle its adhered to - they are two totally different items. All things considered, I believe your bottle is original - I also believe your paper label is original - but whether they are original to one another is the $64 question. However, its the date of the label and whether its the very first that's the main focus here, so I'm "sticking" with that (pun intended) ;)

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Speaking of slogans, compare the slogan on Rich's paper label to the wording in this Ad from ...

7up 1932_ Lithiated_The_Journal_Times_Racine Wisconsin_Sun__Apr_24__1932_.jpg

7up Paper Label Slogan Rich Bottle Forum May 2020.jpg

Burkenhill

Reaction score
That's a very interesting bottle. I checked my paper label 7up bottles and none of mine say that. This attached picture is of a bottle recently sold on Ebay. It doesn't show a bottler on the bottom but does have the intriguing slogan on the top right of the label. This picture clarifies for you the wording on the main body of the label that says, "....is so acceptable to the ladies.".....

Attachments

• unique label.jpg
    unique label.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 350

SODABOB

Reaction score
Burkenhill

Great find - Thanks for sharing. Could you please provide us with a link where you found it. Here's another one that sold on eBay recently. I believe that makes a total of four known examples with that particular slogan ...

1. Mine
2. Rich's
3. Burkenhill - eBay
4. This eBay

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

Thanks for posting the link to the bottle that Burkenhill shared. I have been looking for other examples, but haven't found any - and tricky to search for because everyone describes them differently. The attachment is from an article that Cecil Munsey and Ron Fowler published in 2004. Unfortunately they did not date the snippet or explain exactly what the text part is referring to, but the part at the bottom about Swift & Co.. kind of leads one to think the image at the top is a paper label. If it is a label, it MIGHT be the very first. I looked for one like it but struck out.

If we can find a paper label like this one, it MIGHT solve the mystery as to which one was the very first. The key words are "Alkaline Reaction"

By the way, Cecil Munsey passed away last fall - I believe he was 91 years old.

7up Cecil Munsey 2004 Article Possible First Paper Label.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
The only 7-Up bottle I am aware of that has the slogan "Alkaline Reaction" on the front label is this 1935 ACL. But no Slenderizing lady.

7up Alkaline Bottle 1935 (1).jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch