7up 'White Swimsuit Girl' bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score
I recently got another 'white swimsuit girl' 7up bottle. I got this one off the internet and I don't think the person knew how rare it was. Now this bottle as well as the 'orange swimsuit girl' bottle(which I do not own one) have been discussed a lot before. I will post links to those posts.
This one differs from my other one in that it has '7up' embossed once on the neck as well as one 8 bubble acl on the neck. It has 'THE JOYCE PRODUCTS COMPANY...COLUMBUS OHIO' embossed along the heel of the bottle and is made by the 'Reed Glass Co' of Rochester NY. R ind a triangle on the bottom with a 5 and a 7 also. Not sure how to date Reed bottles. The other is Owens Illinois bottle.
Both of my bottles do not have the 'pips' on the heel to keep the bottle in position for the ACL printing. Both bottles has the ACL printed over the seem line on the body of the bottle. The seem almost cuts the swimsuit girl in half. They are both 7oz and have the same back label.
My first one is Owens Illinois and is from 1936, but this one has to be earlier I think because of the embossing on the neck and heel. How much earlier? Not sure.
100_3327.JPG

100_3327.JPG
100_3329.JPG

100_3337.JPG

100_3343.JPG

100_3333.JPG

Thanx for lookin. And I have another rare 7up bottle that I will be posting soon. got this one with the help of Sodabob aka SodapopBob

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Nice bottle. Thanks for sharing the info about it too. I hardly know anything about Reed Glass. If I find anything I will let you know.

RCO

Reaction score
all the 7 up swim bottles I have , the lady is white , or was there something else unusual about this one ? the neck is embossed which is much less common .

is so many 7 up bottles , that's likely why the seller wasn't aware it was uncommon

iggyworf

Reaction score
all the 7 up swim bottles I have , the lady is white , or was there something else unusual about this one ? the neck is embossed which is much less common .

is so many 7 up bottles , that's likely why the seller wasn't aware it was uncommon

Just happen to be online at the same time. Hey RCO, the ones you have, is the actual bathing suit white or just her arms and legs. Please check and post some pics. Because the American versions of this bottle are rare.

iggyworf

Reaction score
comparison pic of swimsuit color

7up swim comp white.jpg

regular swimsuit................................................................white swimsuit

RCO

Reaction score
Just happen to be online at the same time. Hey RCO, the ones you have, is the actual bathing suit white or just her arms and legs. Please check and post some pics. Because the American versions of this bottle are rare.

doesn't seem to be any paint on the swim suit portion , they look like the regular swim , now I see whats different about your bottle

Eric

Reaction score
Congrats on the addition! Great bottle! Looks like a very old one due to the paint/logo application and logo... nice find for sure!

NBM

Reaction score
Don't know if you'll find this helpful, but according to Bottle Makers and Their Marks by Julian Harrison Toulouse, Reed Glass Co. used that maker's mark from 1927-1956.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Thanx NBM and everyone else. I believe this bottle to be from 1937 then.

Burkenhill

Reaction score
I recently got another 'white swimsuit girl' 7up bottle. I got this one off the internet and I don't think the person knew how rare it was. Now this bottle as well as the 'orange swimsuit girl' bottle(which I do not own one) have been discussed a lot before. I will post links to those posts.
This one differs from my other one in that it has '7up' embossed once on the neck as well as one 8 bubble acl on the neck. It has 'THE JOYCE PRODUCTS COMPANY...COLUMBUS OHIO' embossed along the heel of the bottle and is made by the 'Reed Glass Co' of Rochester NY. R ind a triangle on the bottom with a 5 and a 7 also. Not sure how to date Reed bottles. The other is Owens Illinois bottle.
Both of my bottles do not have the 'pips' on the heel to keep the bottle in position for the ACL printing. Both bottles has the ACL printed over the seem line on the body of the bottle. The seem almost cuts the swimsuit girl in half. They are both 7oz and have the same back label.
My first one is Owens Illinois and is from 1936, but this one has to be earlier I think because of the embossing on the neck and heel. How much earlier? Not sure.
View attachment 201536
View attachment 201536View attachment 201537
View attachment 201538
View attachment 201539
View attachment 201541

Thanx for lookin. And I have another rare 7up bottle that I will be posting soon. got this one with the help of Sodabob aka SodapopBob

Thank you for showing us and telling us about this unusual bottle. As soon as I read your post I went and checked through all my 7up swimsuit lady bottles and I do not have any with the "white swimsuit girl", as you described it. In my humble opinion your bottle is not pre-1936 for a few reasons. It would seem that either Reed Glass or Owens Illinois or Joyce Product Company went outside the 7up logo standardization requirements to have coloured in the swim suit with ACL white.

Firstly, on the earliest paper label 7up bottles, there was the silhouette drawing of the “slenderizing” lady or “bubble girl” – a silhouette of a young woman with arms up-stretched and the word “Slenderizing” across her legs. In the silhouette of the slenderizing lady, she was shown with only 1 foot and the early ACL bottles also had only 1 foot showing. From all my 7up bottles, 7up had included the 2nd foot on the swim lady from some time in 1938 and onward. Your swim lady has 2 feet showing so I'm certain it fits more like as a 1938 or later bottle.
Secondly, on 7up bottles, the first shoulder embossing originally had a "u7p". Some time later it was changed to the more intuitive "7up" embossing to be in line with and consistent with the normal 7up logo. Any 1936 bottles I have show the "u7p" neck embossing and the first instances I have of the "7up" neck embossing start with 1937 bottles.

Thirdly, the back label on your bottle is a " 1a" according to Bill Lockhart's extensive research, much of which he provided in his Sodafizz articles. His work suggests that the earliest a 1a label appeared was in 1939 as shown on the attached excerpt from one of his articles. The difference in the 1a back label which came after label 1 was the words on the back label which were changed from the earlier label that stated, "For the Stomach's sake, do not shake or stir" to the later, easier reading version that stated, "For the Stomach's sake, do not stir or shake".

I hope that helps you in dating your very special bottle.

Rick Burfoot

Attachments

• Bill Lockhart graph.JPG
    Bill Lockhart graph.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 293

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member