7up 'White Swimsuit Girl' bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score
Burkenhill, thanx for you input. I know that 7up table well. Unfortunately it is getting old. We have found many bottles that don't adhere to that list. The 'Slenderizing Lady' on the PL bottles was never used on the ACL versions. It was streamed down to the 'Swimsuit' girl as we call it, as you already know. I know about the one foot vs two feet, although I am not sure what yr they stopped the one ft bottles. but I think some have been found in the later yrs of the 1930's.

I also am pretty sure that the embossed 'U7P' has been found on bottles as late as 1945. I will have to look in my files to see if I have any pics.

My first '"white swimsuit' bottle is clearly a 1936 bottle as the Owens mark on the bottom states. Made at the Alton Il plant as designated by the 7 then the Owens Ill mark and then a 6 for 1936.
Most 7up bottles follow that back label chart as well, but again variations have been found.

I do understand that certain companies may have not followed the '7up' standards to the letter as in these 'white swimsuit' bottles.(don't forget the orange one also) Also the '3-1-3' bubble pattern on two of my Los Angeles bottles.(that is another thread though)(actually after double checking my two '3-1-3' bottles, they are both 'one foot' and both from 1941 according to the Owens date codes on the bottom)Wow! I under looked that before.

I don't know much on the dating of 'Reed' glass bottles. But some of us speculate the 7 would be 1937. If so then my unembossed bottle is older than the embossed one. Hmmmm? lol

So these bottles are definately a mystery. If we can find more info on how to date 'Reed' glass bottles that would help a lot. Thanx for any interest and info from you or anyone else as I am not an expert on these bottles. But it is enjoyable to discuss these things!

Attachments

• O-IPlantList.pdf
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,077

shotdwn

Reaction score
Great information iggyworf. It seems to be a never ending task to sort out time lines on 7up bottles.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Thanx shotdown! Yeah it sure is(as with many other brands as well). And it's not like we can find people who worked at these places anymore either.lol But it is fun!

Canadacan

Reaction score
Hey cool find!...and congrats. Information is at a premium!....but having that article as a guide sure helps!...BTW the u7p was embossed on Canadian quart necks till at least 1945, not sure how late they used it in the USA.

SODABOB

Reaction score
iggy / Rich

Great bottle (as usual) I have been doing some research, but before I continue I need to know where the embossed 5 and 7 are located on the base. I can't make them out in the picture you posted. The location of the numbers could be a major factor in properly dating your bottle.

Thanks

Bob

7up White Swimsuit Reed Glass Base with 5 and 7.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Thanx Canadacan! I still am pretty sure there are 1945 'U7P' embossed bottles in US.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks Rich - Are the numbers on either side of the R-Triangle or elsewhere?

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Rich

The location of the numbers changes things slightly, but not dramatically. The reason I say that is because most of the Reed Glass Company bottles I'm familiar with that used the R-Triangle mark have the numbers on either side of the mark such as the one I'm attaching from the Unatin 7-UP Company, Beaver Falls, Pa. Notice the number 1 on the left and the number 6 on the right. However, the number 6 doesn't necessarily mean it was made in 1936 - although I personally believe that it WAS made in 1936. But proving it is another thing. Probably the most extensive article ever published about the Reed Glass Company was compiled by Bill Lockhart and the Bottle Research Group (BRG).

Here's the link ...

The R-Triangle part starts on Page 18. But even it is a little vague about how to date bottles with that particular mark. ( By the way, I am now a member of the BRG and was invited to join by Bill Lockhart and the other members about a year ago )

So, what I have been looking at to help narrow down the dates is ...

1. When was the Joyce Products Company in Columbus, Ohio established? = Possibly as early as 1933, but definitely by 1934. They no doubt used paper labels at first (1933-34) and then adopted ACL later.

2. When was the Unatin 7-UP Company in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania established? = 1935 according to numerous sources.

Although more research is required to confirm the date for the White Swimsuit 7-UP bottle, we at least know that the two 7-UP companies referred to here (Joyce and Unatin) were both in operation at least as early as 1934 and 1935, and that a possible 1935 or 1937 date for the White Swimsuit bottle is not out of the realm of possibilities ...

7up Reed Glass Unatin.jpg

7up Reed Glass Back Unatin.jpg

7up Reed Glass Base Unatin.jpg

Unatin Seven Up Company 1935.jpg

Joyce Products Company Newspaper Article ~ October 3, 1934 ~ Earliest I was able to find (Click to open)

Attachments

• Joyce Products Co_Dayton_Daily_News_Dayton Ohio_Wed__Oct_3__1934.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp