8 oz Orange Crush bottle from Canada

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gramr

Reaction score
I think first a patent in the States was taken out it may have been the only product protection at the time. But knowing the British at the time, 'that's not a new idea it's a bottle,you want trademarking down the hall'. So the aug date is the Canadian 'trademark registered' date. It's the beginning of today's trademarking l find it interesting,another factor in making bottles a history chart of various changes.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here's a little more information that might be of interest ...

The Dominion Glass Company started using the Diamond-D mark circa 1928

Which indicates that any Orange Crush bottle with the Diamond-D mark was made in 1928 or later.

Dominion Glass Exports To United States.jpg

United States Tariff Act of 1930 - Section 304 - Paragraph (a)

Tariff Act 1930 (original) Section 304 - Marked With Country of Origin.jpg

However, I still can't find any documentation ( or bottles ) that confirms the Dominion Glass Company EXPORTED any Orange Crush bottles to the United States. ???

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

The confirmation I'm looking for includes one of the following ...

1. Any document, news article, publication, etc. that states the Dominion Glass exported Orange Crush bottles to the United States.

2. Any Orange Crush bottle with a Diamond-D mark that ALSO has the name and/or location of a United States bottler on it.

Last edited:

Gramr

Reaction score
A small difference in the one l found is the on the neck this short one has a clear neck l noticed the others have a 'knurled' look. Thanks for info,possibly as the bottles changed in '30 and 'D' came in '28 gives a window of manufacture. Makes sense as l noticed mine had crisp lines possibly due to limited use of mold. My apologies for the 6+8oz mix up on my part. At first the two looked identical.
1588958851736245102343076454098.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Gramr

Thanks for the information and photos

What makers mark / date codes / patent dates / etc; are embossed on the two bottles you just posted?

Gramr

Reaction score
Those are the two from my previous post's short one TMRG aug 22 1921 l find it interesting it reads 'Orange crusH bottle' not drink. Then at bottom 6 fl oz. The other is REG D aug 22 1922 and a fat round lettering 'orange crush' but also block lettering 'bottle' at bottom other side mr crushy facing right and orange crush bottle again with 6 fl oz at bottom.

Gramr

Reaction score
I did notice the lettering differs the one Orange crusH like mine is REG the other which is more ORANGE CRUSH big 'O' is the TMRG one. As mine is sort of a combination of the two.

Gramr

Reaction score
Sorry short one D in a diamond. Tall one same D with c on right and 5 left with a 7 other side.

SODABOB

Reaction score
During the course of my research, a lot of references source Thomas B. King's 1987 book …

"Glass In Canada"

If anyone has a copy of this book, it should provide some helpful information about Canadian glass manufacturers, as well as information about exporting and importing of bottles. There are four copies of the book currently available on eBay, as well as other sites such as Amazon, etc. The average price for a used copy is about $25

If anyone has a copy, please check and see if it has any information related to the Dominion Glass Company and/or the Consumers Glass Company - especially anything related to exporting and importing.

Glass In Canada Thomas B. King 1987.jpg

Speaking of exporting and importing, according to the information in these snippets, it appears that Canada imported a lot more glass containers (bottles) than they exported. Its information like this that confuses me about the claims about Canada supposedly exporting Orange Crush bottles to the United States. Please note that I am not trying to prove or disprove anything, I'm just trying to find relevant facts related to this topic.

1922-1928

Glass Containers Exports to Canada 1922 1928.jpg

Beverage Bottle Exports to Canada 1959.jpg

This will likely conclude my contributions to this discussion, but look forward to any additional information provided by the King book or other relevant sources.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum