A cold knock yields goodies

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digger dun

Reaction score
Eastern Long Island, metro NYC, Hudson valley NY
So, my friend was walking down a side street in old Sag Harbor town and spotted some bottles in a window of an old slant roof salt box house, so he cold knocked on the door. The guy who answered said the bottles came with the house, and he knew nothing about them. he stated that some serious renovations were about to commence at the house, and he had to clear out the clutter. He then told my friend that he was thinking of getting rid of the bottles specificaly, but didn't know if there was any value in these old bottles. Finally he told my friend to come back the next day to figure something out because he was pressed for time, and had to leave. My friend texted me as he left the house telling of crude applied tops, and pictoral flasks. As luck would have it I was able to join him when he went back to meet with this guy again. We caught him as he was backing out of the driveway.
"I'm glad I ran into you guys" he said " I was just about to leave. I've got the bottles over here." and he lead us around to the side of the house where he pulled some bushes aside and roughly produced a plastic tote from the underbrush, dropping the plastic box at our feet with all the glass clinking and clanking you cringe to hear. There wasn't much, really. A dozen bottles, some TOC stuff, a hock wine, but towards the bottom I pulled a uncannily clean washington/taylor flask embossed with Dyottville glass works with a sharp open pontle. As I was looking at this my friend had picked up a large catherdral pickle, and was fingering the iron pontle mark and mumbling quietly under his breath.
"yeah, I don't know if these are any good..." the guy was saying,
"Yeah, there's not much here, really" I replied taking out my wallet "How's ten bucks?"
"Sounds great!" The guy replied, and that was it, less then two minutes, and we were walking back to the truck with a tote of glass. The flask was flawless, attic mint, maybe too good. My repro buzzer was intermittently going off in my head, but the pickle, that was the real deal. I never heard of repro pickles with iron pontle marks. And the house, and nieghborhood was most certainly old enough. Plus it said Dyottville clear as day. Whatever, I decided, this was the sort of bottle rush I was not about cheapen with the wet blanket of logic. We flipped a coin for first pick, and my friend got it, choosing the flask. I then of course had the choice between the pickle, and a nicely irridecent ten pin soda. I hemmed and hawed , and in the end went for the ten pin, as it's more in line with what I collect, so he got the pickle. I'm still not sure if I chose wisely, but what ever, he did the cold knock, he deserves the best of the pick. I'm going to be posting another 5 pictures or so after this, because I haven't got the hang of plugging in multiple pictures in one post... stay tuned

485AA3CB7AD84B0C9BA9F23396440C77.jpg

Attachments

• 485AA3CB7AD84B0C9BA9F23396440C77.jpg
    485AA3CB7AD84B0C9BA9F23396440C77.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 80

digger dun

Reaction score
Eastern Long Island, metro NYC, Hudson valley NY
The base.
I am the first to admit That I am no expert on this kind of glass. I've cut my teeth in 1880s-90s dumps, and a dozen privies, so, I would greatly appriciate the opinions of those here who have handled these flasks with regularity. Is this a Clevinger repro, or an attic mint flask?

DD2B5218015444E1A2197038B7DD3FD0.jpg

Attachments

• DD2B5218015444E1A2197038B7DD3FD0.jpg
    DD2B5218015444E1A2197038B7DD3FD0.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 88

epackage

Reaction score
The flask and the pickle look right as rain, the Schultz while nice looking is a very common bottle, your friend did well for himself knocking on that door...Congrats

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1