A fun trip to Dead Horse Bay!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
I always heard 50 years. Screwy government...don't litter, clean up our environment, BUT don't pick up just any trash, just the new trash.

green dragon

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: sandchip

I always heard 50 years.  Screwy government...don't litter, clean up our environment, BUT don't pick up just any trash, just the new trash.

NO kidding, makes NO sense [8|]

Not agreeing, just posted, so you'd be careful - go fir it ( and send pics ) . I have wanted to go there for a year, since I found out about the place when I was getting into bottles, it just seems surreal, not just for the golass but the whole aura....

maybe in the spring

~ AL

mr.fred

Reaction score
The Lantern Candy Container is from the late 40s early 50s-----not all that rare---missing Cap----Handle and base-------but hold on to it-----parts are out there[;)]

surfaceone

Reaction score
A swirly soda bottle. Hoffman Beverage Company, from Newark. Rarity?

ribby.jpg

Hey Connor,

I really like this Bay tumbled soda. You know it's a landmark bottle, right?

pabst012002.jpg
pabst03bottle.jpg

pabst02bottle.jpg
"Pabst's Brewery

400 Grove Street c. So. Orange Avenue
The Pabst's Brewery plant stands on the corner of South Orange Ave. and Grove Street in Irvington. The plant produced soda for Hoffman Beverages until 1953 when it was sold to the Pabst Brewing Co. The unique part of the plant is the large soda bottle on the roof of the building which can be seen from motorists on the Garden State Parkway. The bottle was originally used as a water tank. Pabst closed down this bottling plant in February, 1985." From Old Newark.

This plant was sold to Pabst in 1946 by the Hoffmans. It was a landmark piece of roadside americana and a literal landmark for generations of motorists on the Garden State Parkway. Of course, the bottle according to local legend, was originally Hoffman's Root Beer when it was erected in 1930.

NJNEWpabstbottle_coghlan.jpg
"[RA: This was originally a 60-ft. tall soda bottle water tower for the Hoffman Company. A Pabst label was painted on it when the business changed hands, which explains why the shape doesn't seem quite correct for a 1960s beer bottle.... Update - April 2004 - a developer has purchased the property and plans to demolish everything to make way for shops and housing. Local preservationists hope to devise a plan to save the bottle....]

Large brown bottle
I am a long-time resident of the area, and can trace the bottle's history. It started out as a functioning water tank for Hoffman Beverages (soft drinks - they used to make a decent ginger ale), a long-gone NJ company. Hoffman sold the property to the Pabst Brewing Company, which erected an immense stockhouse/brewery on the site (1960s). Beer companies have been merged, beer sales have been flat (pardon me, I'm really sorry for that one) and this complex is, I believe, inactive." From Roadside America.

The Hoffman's were apparently both brewers and fizzy drinks makers.
NJ-HOFF-003.jpg
NJ-HOFF-005.jpg
NJ-HOFF-001.jpg
NJ-HOFF-004.jpg
From.

An old Hoffman slogan: "Hoffman draught beer in bottles is really draught beer." From.

large_Pabst%20blue%20ribbon%20bottle%20cap.JPG
"The Pabst Blue Ribbon bottle that served as an icon of beer brewing and as a road marker for motorists along the Garden State Parkway has resurfaced along another major roadway -- the New Jersey Turnpike, just past Exit 15E -- in a junkyard in the Ironbound section.
Cut into a half-dozen pieces, most of it is hidden, but this week slow-moving motorists could spot the giant bottle cap in T. Fiore Recycling's scrap yard. The 60-foot-high bottle sat on its perch overlooking the Parkway for more than 70 years before it was dismantled to make way for houses and a shopping mall...The bottle was erected in the 1930s, when the site was home to the Hoffman Beverage Co. At the time, it promoted Hoffman's Pale Dry Ginger Ale. The bottle later became an advertisement for Pabst, after the brewing company purchased the plant in 1945....The bottle outlived the operation, which closed in the 1980s, and it was stubborn about coming down from its six-story platform atop one of the brewery buildings in 2006.
T. Fiore has claimed the bottle, but public memories of it linger in a song, "The Big Pabst Bottle," and even in an episode of "The Sopranos." In that show -- the third episode of season five -- Tony Soprano's Uncle Junior sits on a bench and looks up at the bottle in "Where's Johnny?" From.

"The bottle's crown is 185 feet above street level. It measures 17 1/2 feet in diameter below the tapered neck, and when it functioned as a water tower it could hold 55,000 gallons. It first advertised Hoffman's Pale Dry Ginger Ale when it went up in 1930. Made of copper-plated steel plates about a quarter-inch thick, the bottle had a "glossy coat of enamel" and was "topped by a stopper of glittering gold." At night, it was flooded with light.

When prohibtion ended, Hoffman Beverage Co. began brewing beer, and later 1945 Pabst Brewing purchased Hoffman. The soda bottle was repainted to become a beer bottle." From.

"A Bid to Save an Emblem

Another sign that has become a source of debate is the big reddish-brown bottle off the Garden State Parkway that seems to be floating in the sky, standing vigil over the shuttered Pabst brewery in Newark.

The brewery once housed the Hoffman Beverage Company, the soft-drink concern that built the huddle of early 20th-century buildings and around 1930 erected the 60-foot ''root beer'' bottle, its notable flavor, to double as a water tower. In 1945 when the brewery took over the complex, it put its Pabst label on the bottle, which still stands even though the plant closed in the mid-1980's and crumbled into an eyesore.

Now developers are advancing plans to raze the buildings and turn the site into a mixed-use neighborhood. Pam Goldstein, spokesperson for Mayor Sharpe James, said letters have been flooding City Hall to preserve the bottle. Richard Monteilh, the city administrator, said that the city is looking to save the bottle. ''There is a lot of sentiment to do so,'' he said. ''It could wind up in a small park on the site. The question is how to finance it.'' From NYTimes 5/9/04.

There's a wonderful photo illustrated "abandoned adventure" of visiting the plant shortly before the wrecking crew arrived @ Weird N.J. Volume 2.

"The large bottle that once graced the roof of one of the building was removed two years ago. NJ Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek has expressed interest in showcasing the iconic bottle outside the Prudential Center in Newark." hFrom.l

From a delightful reminiscence on Hoffman sodas :

"The prettiest girl
(prettiest girl)
I ever say
(ever saw)
Was sipping Hoffmann's
(sipping Hoffmann's)
Through a straw
(right through a straw)
The prettiest girl I ever saw
Was sipping Hoffmann's through a straw

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

And there was a girl perched on a rock near a waterfall in the TV ad." From Newark Talk.

" HOFFMAN 07 OZ. RED AND WHITE DARK GREEN 07 7/8 1964 HOFFMAN BEVERAGE CO. LONG ISLAND C. N.Y. "HOFFMAN SPARKLING BEVERAGES" (B); SMALL CROWN 9.9
# 326186:
HOFFMAN 07 OZ. RED/WHITE/BLUE CLEAR W/RINGS 07 7/8 1953 HOFFMAN BEVERAGE CO. NEWARK N.J. "SPARKLING HOFFMAN QUALITY BEVERAGES"; NOT PIC. 7.7
# 33021288A:
HOFFMAN 12 OZ. RED AND WHITE CLEAR W/RINGS 09 5/8 1964 HOFFMAN BEVERAGE CO. LONG ISLAND C. N.Y. "HOFFMAN SPARKLING BEVERAGES" (B); CROWN (N & B) 8.7
# 71041094:
HOFFMAN QUININE WATER 07 OZ. BLUE-GRN/WHITE/GOLD CLEAR W/RINGS 07 7/8 1954 HOFFMAN BEVERAGE CO. NEWARK N.J. SPARKLING HOFFMAN QUININE WATER ; QUININE WATER 9.8
# 40012488: " From.

"Hoffman Beverage ComDany, Newark, N. J., one of tTie top distributors in our area, offers you Black Cherry, Black Raspberry. Orange, Lem- on, all with true fruit flavor with- out artificial flavoring o r pre- servatives added. In addition, of course, Hoffman puts out the basic Ginger A le, Sarsaparilla,
their
«=>Cream Soda, Root Beer and Club Soda, together with a non-fatten- ing "Streamline" group for
weight-watches. These bever- ages are fine by themselves, but they provide excellent founda- tions for drinks whose distinc- tion Is limited only by your im- agination." From.

A sad postscript to this fractured story is the old Hoffman house.
pix-0513utpreservjpg-cc26e80f8230b1cc_medium.jpg
"The Hoffman Farmhouse, within the 332 acre-county park on Baptist Church Road, was the home of Albert Hoffman, son of the founder of the Hoffman Beverage Co. in Newark, and his wife Joyce. When the township and county purchased the property from the Hoffman family in 1999, several acres were excluded from Green Acres funding, including the Hoffman house. Joyce Hoffman lived there until her death at age 88 in 2006, after which Union Township took possession. The township’s agreement with Hunterdon County allows it to lease or demolish the house, parts of which may date to the mid-1800’s, but not to sell it or build around it." From.

"HOFFMAN--Robert F., 79, of Madison, New Jersey, on January 1. Born South Orange, NJ, son of GF Hoffman, Founder of Hoffman Beverage Co. Lovingly known as ''Sport.'' Survived by wife of 54 years, Marion, of Madison, and five sons: Larry of Ridgewood, NJ, Greg of Washington, CT, Johannes of Annapolis, MD, Rob of Pennington, NJ and Tom of Weston, CT. Graduated in '43 from Columbia High and MIT in '46. Majored in Mechanical Design, rowed Varsity Crew, President of OX Fraternity, Tau Beta Pi honors. 23 years with Worthington Pump, helped found Leisuredyn Inc. in '69, manufactured world's first personal watercraft: the Aquadart. Owned RF Hoffman & Sons, engineering consultancy, concluded career with Hartz Mountain in '83. Early mainstay of Madison Y Indian Guides, 50+ year member and President of Maplewood Glee Club. Chairman of Columbia High and MIT 50th Reunions. Tutored underprivileged Newark youth in math. Avid sailor, skippered a Comet on Candlewood Lake, and later a Lightning at Lavallette Yacht Club. Visitation January 5, 2-4 and 7-9, at Bradley Memorial Home, Chatham, NJ. Celebration of Life January 6 at 11 AM, First Presbyterian Church, New Vernon. Contributions to the Maplewood Glee Club Scholarship Fund, Box 54, Maplewood, New Jersey 07040 or NJ Audubon Society/ Schermann-Hoffman Sanctuary, Hardscrabble Road, Bernardsville, NJ 07924." NYTimes 1/5/05

639-1.jpg

RedGinger

Reaction score
Looks like a great day at the beach! I've wanted to go there for a long time. It's great to see what you found, rather than reading some complete stranger's article where you can't ask any questions or anything. I'm getting into the older Cokes after reading "For God Country and Coca-Cola". I actually won the book in a forum auction from Marjorie. Anyway, great post, hope you can go back and find more. On a beach like that, you can be very selective and picky about what to take home, which is nice and probably makes it more relaxing.

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Good source of sea glass. The cool thing is, the longer the dump erodes, the older the artifacts will wash up.. it's worth a trip back every couple years..

74D2466B449446E0889D1D3C4CF86E66.jpg

Good point, Charlie. Maybe by the time I get there, all the really old stuff will be washing up! LOL[sm=rolleyes.gif]

1977topps

Reaction score
Been here a few times. Very cool spot indeed. I like the view of the Marine Parkway Bridge to the left. I have actually found horse bones also.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Well, traffic would've been bad today, at least if we went at low tide. I think traffic is best early on a Suday morning, so we plan to go next time low tide corresponds. I can be pickier next time, as I now know the better area to look. I'll get some better pics of that spot then. Thanks for the information, guys!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2