A Great Book Find!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
To all you people interested in the MOUTH BLOWN BOTTLE.
This is to review some material for you bottle collectors, diggers, and those interested in understanding some moves of MOUTH BLOWN BOTTLE MAKING. This first paragraph is from my Bottle Makers Glossary. The next section with the bullets is some material coverage from a book I recently acquired “BOTTLES OF THE CANADIAN PRARIE†by George C. Chopping. It is a very interesting book, but hard to get. Blow pipe: This is a long hollow iron or steel tube wider and thicker at the gathering end than at the blowing end. It is used by the bottle blower to gather up the molten glass gob that is to be shaped into a desirable hollow pre-form (parison). It was then used to blow the glass bottle either in a mold or as a free-blown object of bottle shape. They varied in length from four to six feet. These are also known as blowing irons. Ø In Chopping’s book there is a neat set of drawings for the blowpipe, the blowpipe with a gather of glass and then the blow pipe with a puffed gather. The next figure is the rolling and elongating of the parison objective shape. Ø There is a paragraph that explains the bottle makers procedure. In Fig 1,2,3,&4. On the next page figure 5 and 6 illustrate the insertion of the parison in the open mold and the final blow moves the parison glass out to the mold cavity walls. Ø The mold boy opens the mold and the formed bottles weight is checked. The bottle has to be correct to assure the bottle made has the proper capacity. Ø [I can not agree with the sequence written here because they could not handle the bottle cut off from the blowpipe. Without it first being put in the snap case to put a handle on the hot glass. Obviously the author messed up the sequence. I am sure the weighing would be done after the finish is applied and just before the bottle goes to the annealing lehr.] Ø Figure 9 shows the unfinished lip form of the blown bottle’s neck and Figure 10, shows the bottle in a full cylinder snap case. The next job is to straighten the top of the neck, reheat the bottle top of the neck in the Glory Hole of the furnace and apply a hot glass band around the top of the neck. [I think this is normally done at the bottle makers chair.] Ø In this book Chopping illustrates a bench (sawhorse type) that is shown in Figure 11. He calls this chair a Finishing Table. The frame has two hooks for holding the handle of the snap case. At this time the glass band is applied and then tooled to the desired finish. This action is show in figures12 and 13 in Chopping’s book. And this illustrates the finish tool eliminating the mold seam under the finish. [The bottle has to have the neck glass softened in the Furnace Glory Hole, to a glowing red hot neck for applying the molten band of glass for the finish. Then the bottle maker can tool the desired finish. In this case the books illustrated bottle was a tooled crown finish. The book also said that this hand tooled finish was phased out after the 1920s. I think it was more like 1913 to 1915 before the Owens machine really got going.]

I am constantly looking for descriptions and making analysis of the way the writer put his description together - all in my quest for learning about how glass was formed before 1900. This is just passed on for your thoughts. If you would like a copy of the figure illustrations, I guess I would have to put the together when I can get to it.
Enjoy - and try to find the book from Aldis or some of the book houses. I am not interested in getting in trouble with the copyright restrictions. AT LEAST I RECOMMEND THE BOOK, in this coverage. RED Matthews

I don't understand why they can't show the paragraphs the way I put them together. You may have to copy it and re format it. Sorry, I just don't understand all the tricks of this copy and past routine when they change it anyway. NUTS!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac