A group of blackglass octagonals

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
I was pleased to trade recently for this group of freeblown (dipmolded) octagonal utilities...
Not seen a group like this for a long time...

P1140046_zpsff7ceb36.jpg

Regards
Mark

jfcutter

Reaction score
Certainly a great group of early, English (possibly early American?) utilities! All look to have been produced using the same dip molds used to make the same periods octagonal snuff bottles.

FitSandTic

Reaction score
Great find! Can you post a picture of the bases?

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Hi, thanks, yes I can do pics of the bases but they are all the same classic English (or sometimes colonial) oval (or rather more often that round-ended lozenge shape) sand pontils on nearly flat bases. None of them have blowpipe pontils indicating continental or later American production, though I do have a couple good octagonals, one of which is very different and has been attributed to Wistar...

earlyglass

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Please do Mark, I'm sure it's me but I see hexagonal. I tried to position a Gilga to looks six sided but I'm having difficulties. Maybe just a slight turn? Either way, nice grouping of old glass!

FitSandTic

Reaction score
I love seeing American utilities! I have a Stoddard medicine type flask that is similar in form to your dip mold pieces. It is a 2 piece mold with a shorter neck with applied sloping collar and blowpipe pontil. I would like to see your Wistar piece.

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Here at last a couple images of the octagonal I am told is Wistar, and it certainly looks like no other octagonal I have come across.

Super crude vertebrae form, blowpipe pontil, nice early stringrim and lip and dark amber glass rather than olive green. I've also added a base shot of one of the other group which shows the typical English or sometimes early colonial sand pontil. However your country was obviously so big and had so many glassblower immigrants from all over Europe that there were obviously parallel forms and styles being made in colonial America, some that mimicked English and others that followed continental styles, or a mix of their own..?

Anyway, enjoy.....

P1140088_zpsd151f576.jpg

P1140089_zpse7466f0e.jpg

P1140090_zps00b9680f.jpg

P1140091_zpse7c0b6ce.jpg

www.earlyglass.com

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members