A question on turning clear bottles amethyst

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dirtflicker

Reaction score
This topic may or may not have come up in past threads on this forum...however I was wondering how these people that sell those deeeeeeep amethyst bottles on ebay get them that purple? I have left bottles in the sun for six months only to find that they are just barely turning? I know that they irradiate (gama rays) them some how, but how? I would like to turn a few bottles like that so I may add some more colors to my display shelf. I understand it has something to do with the MANGENESE in the glass that makes the bottle turn. Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

DF

bearswede

Reaction score
This should give you a start, DF...

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/searchpro.asp?phrase=irradiated&author=&forumid=ALL&topicreply=both&message=both&timeframe=%3E&timefilter=-365&language=single&top=300&criteria=AND&minRank=0&sortMethod=r&submitbutton=+OK+

Ron

dirtflicker

Reaction score
Thanks Ron. There is a bunch of threads about radiation scammers. I am not looking to sell the bottles I turn amethyst...I just want a couple to display in my window...I am more in pursuit of the procedure that turns them that color. Thanks.

DF

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Basically you build a box and mount a UV lamp in it, the same type used for sterilizing biological samples. You need to be careful since this light can injure your eyes.
Depending on the manganese content of the glass it will turn purple in as few as a couple days.
Some people frown on treating bottles in this manner. It is the same process exactly as being colored by the sun, the light density is just much higher, so I don’t have a problem with it. There is no way you can tell a sun colored bottle from a bottle that has been UV irradiated by a person. Some bottles will turn very dark and I don’t particularly find those natural looking or appealing. Old bottles typically didn’t get to lay in the sun the full 100 years of their lives so you don’t see them that dark often. You can infer that very dark amethyst bottles were artificially irradiated since the bottles weren’t likely to get that exposure over their lifetimes but you cant say it for certain.

UV irradiation should not be confused with neutron radiation used to turn bottles all sorts of weird colors (ie brown cokes). Anything involving a reactor is most definately not a natural effect.

bearswede

Reaction score
in pursuit of the procedure that turns them that color. Thanks.

I know it takes a little digging (but I also know this is something you're GOOD at), but there is "how to" info buried in these previous posts, such as: https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m_9133/mpage_1/key_irradiated/tm.htm

Ron

GuntherHess

Reaction score
If you read that set of posts you can see a lot of people confuse UV exposed bottles with bottles exposed to other forms of less natural radiation.
The best way to learn for yourself is to experiment and see what happens.
You may want to look at something similar to this...
http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/nw012104/GEG15T8.htm
not recommending that, just pointing you in the general direction.
have fun.

dirtflicker

Reaction score
Thank you very much fellas...I very much appreciate the information. Hey Ron....I guess I need to open my eyes a bit more [8|]....I didn't even see the information regarding the irradiation....I just want to take some common bottles and turn them a nice shade for my own amusement and display. Thanks again guys!

DF

dirtflicker

Reaction score
You may want to look at something similar to this...
http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/nw012104/GEG15T8.htm

Another quick question....can I use one of those high-power UV blacklight for aquariums or does it have to be one of thos real expensive UV germicidal or curing lamps? Will a 75 watt blacklight work??? Thanks.

DF

capsoda

Reaction score
I think you have to use the ones call natural UV bulbs. Plant grow lights or like the tanning booth lights or sun lamps.

Germicidal lights are wide spectrum and won't work. Aquarium bulbs and black lights are probably not strong enough. If you try a black light put it in an inclosed box lined with aluminum foil. Let us know how it works out.

Nuked bottles require a cooling off period of one to several years depending on the type and lenght of radiation. Thats why you see the coming out in batches every so often. If they are released to soon they will make you ill to the possible point of death.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
can I use one of those high-power UV blacklight for aquariums

The things they call 'blacklights' are normally long wavelength lamps that are safe to look at used to make stuff fluoresce. I dont think they are short enough wavelength to turn a bottle purple given any amount of time.
The short wavelength UV light used in germacidal lamps and sun lamps has the energy needed to cause the reaction in the glass. It also has the energy to fry your eyes and skin so be careful.

hey Warren ...what's the estimated half-life of a brown hobbleskirt coke?[;)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp