A River of Coca-Colas & More!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I went kayaking for bottles with Steve (Splante) yesterday. We dug in one spot with some success. I found a 1920s Kerona and a common milk. I was surprised when a Deep Rock ACL from West Barrington popped out! It was from Near an old bridge there was a bunch of bottles, but the only keeper was a common milk (still nice to find!). Back where we put our kayaks in I found a few 1920s sodas under the bridge. Steve found a few sodas too.
My other sodas were: Orme Carbonating Co., Sherba Beverages, and a What Cheer Bott. Co.)

Although it was a satisfying outing, I had the urge to check out another river. A fellow collector said he had found some bottles in it recently, and I was intrigued. So, I made the trip, and after he told me where to go, I hopped down to the bank. Wow! There were literally bottles everywhere. Wherever you looked you saw them. I quickly found half a dozen Coca-Colas. Walking the bank produced some milks, other sodas, and more Coca-Colas. When I crossed the river, I was quite excited to see a squat blob lying on the surface! While a little beat, it read: H. Knebel Improved Mineral Water NY with Union Glass Works on the shoulder. I found so many bottles I had to make two trips with my bucket. I then brought them to my car, and proceeded upstream! I found a mysterious blob (J.P.F. & Co. H'B'G Pa.), a slick blob, and a Brookfield insulator. Oh, and more Coca-Cola.

Across the river I made a very unusual discovery, a demijohn graveyard! It appears a business dumped over 100 of these very large demijohns (the tops were at least 3" across). I found a few bases, and at least one was pontiled. This went on for about 150 feet. You could see a layer of glass sticking out of the bank. I went up to another bridge, and was finally rewarded with some RI blob tops! I got an N. Cappelli and two McKenna Bros. Also present were two BIM crown top Albert H. Sydney sodas in a nice grey aqua. Oh, and I even found a beat to heck seltzer bottle! It was etched with a shield that read "Caproni Bros. Prov. RI". I must have found at least 50 Coca-Cola bottles, I had to leave a bunch of them.

I will have pictures up soon!

The final tally:
ca. 30 Coca-Colas, most from Providence, some Peace Dale, and some out of state. From Christmas (1930s) to 1950s.
3 embossed milks, one from Manton, RI.
5 blobs
9 RI crown top sodas (Bell Bottling Co., National Bottling Co., Star Bottling Co., Hebe...)
2 insulators (No. 20 and a Brookfield)
1 stoneware English bottle
1 seltzer

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Group shot (without the Coca-Colas lol). For those of you who find river bottles, you know how tough that black gunk is!
8093927338_640fd2dbae_z.jpg

McKenna Bros. blob. A nice narrow Aetna-stopper style version
8093927488_234b388ca2_z.jpg

Art-deco Bell Bottling Co., with Albert H. Sydneys in back.
8093927598_124ab141fc_z.jpg

Mystery blob
8093921805_24a7d36369_z.jpg

What's left of a beautiful footed seltzer
8093921927_2d75511cab_z.jpg

cyberdigger

Reaction score
8093921805_24a7d36369_z.jpg

This one is AWESOME!! [:)]

Glad you had such an enjoyable day!

RCO

Reaction score
wow thats pretty much an instant collection from just one location , it take some of us years just to find some of the bottles pictured .
there definity is alot of coca cola bottles lying around waiting to be found all across the country .

madman

Reaction score
wow looks like youve hit the motherload! blobs just lying there wow! congrats!

madman

Reaction score
hmm a 40s dump that you can dig forever and.. blobs lyin in the river sounds like bottle heaven!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac