A word of advice to ebay sellers...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score

nhpharm

Reaction score
So now I'm mad, angry & confused. I won a bid last night on ebay, I was only "1 of 2 Bids", the first & only other bid was *1 cent", I come along & place the 2nd & only other bid @$25.50 being my max bid. There were no other bids made & I won it, only problem is they are charging me my max $25.50 bid... & Not my lower incremental bid of $4.00. I'm about done with ebay!!!
Could you post a link to the item you are referring to? I am confused how this would happen without a second bidder there to bid $25.

opmustard

Reaction score
Could you post a link to the item you are referring to? I am confused how this would happen without a second bidder there to bid $25.
Ebay has been a source of love/hate experience for me over the years.
Have won some bottles that were great and others I sent back because they had major issues.
There were times as a buyer, I compleletly got ripped off and no help from ebay (at that time period.)
I wouldn't buy on Ebay for a number of years after the above mentioned time period.
It doesn't seem right about your bidding on this bottle. I don't understand why your second bid was used.
However, whenever you buy or sell on Ebay it seems like your taking a chance. Buy from a seller you know.
opmustard

willong

Reaction score
People like this usually don't last in the business,
They can last indefinitely if eBay removes negative feedback in order to inflate buyer confidence with sellers having an unjustifiably high rating.

I had a scarce Italian Military rucksack on my watch list for about a year before I was alerted to a listing for one. Since it was available for a "Buy It Now" price that I could justify, I "bought" it and immediately paid, including the stated shipping charge, with my credit card.

The "seller" was a little slow to respond. When he did, he stated that he was refunding my payment as the pack had some defective buckles that he hadn't noticed previously. I asked for pictures of the buckles or a slight price adjustment. I explained that I wanted to use the pack for hunting and could repair the damage myself. Seller said he was sending the pack back to the factory for repair and would notify me when he relisted it--note that he was relisting, not forwarding the pack directly to me.

Less than two weeks later, the pack again appeared on eBay, but with a doubled shipping charge! It was obvious BS! Without the foul taste, I might still have purchased the pack from a different seller; but it was obvious to me that the seller, seeing the virtually instantaneous purchase of the pack via "Buy It Now" had decided that he'd sold too cheaply, or had perhaps not specified sufficient shipping charge to cover his actual costs for shipping to the USA (pack was in Italy), a situation that I would have been negotiable on if approached honestly.

Since 2000, I have purchased literally hundreds of items through eBay. I was tempted to post negative feedback a couple times, but never did. However, I did post for the rucksack seller and explained my reason. Recently, after a few months had passed since the posting, I reviewed the seller's feedback--it is 100% positive, with no negative feedback listed in the statistics!

Plain and simple: Don't trust any of the Big Tech and Social Media corporations to even treat you fairly, let alone have your best interest at heart.

BottleDiver94

Reaction score
Wow, that's nuts. I am far too lazy to post on multiple platforms so I just list in one place and if it sells fine then it is on the shelf and I ship it. I am a moral person so I would never lie to someone about the listing but to have someone pull a stunt like that should kill their E-bay listing ability.

blobtop

Reaction score
Whenever you win the bidding on eBay and the seller "forgets", "loses", or "discovers something new" and doesn't send the item - REPORT THEM TO eBAY! Those are just excuses because the seller has seller's remorse for selling the item too low. They should be banned from ever selling items again on eBay and should suffer consequences for failure to deliver on a contractual obligation. This is not just an "oh well" situation, there are implications for the seller and you should pursue them.

opmustard

Reaction score
Whenever you win the bidding on eBay and the seller "forgets", "loses", or "discovers something new" and doesn't send the item - REPORT THEM TO eBAY! Those are just excuses because the seller has seller's remorse for selling the item too low. They should be banned from ever selling items again on eBay and should suffer consequences for failure to deliver on a contractual obligation. This is not just an "oh well" situation, there are implications for the seller and you should pursue them.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Ebay cares about any of this.
If it hurts them financially or someone in the government puts pressure (yeah, right) on them, then they will change.
In todays world, I just don't see this happening, especially with Ebay.
Just be very careful when it comes to Ebay.
opmustard

relic rescuer

Reaction score
I suspect they have it, they just thought it sold to low or got higher offer. I had a ebay seller try to offer me a Bottle they just sold on ebay for 5 times what they sold it for. I said no, not cool & he said everybody does it, no big deal. low ethics & morals many people have. LEON.
Yeah, That is a great excuse, everyone lies too so that makes it okay? So, now you (them) are in the crowd of A holes? People like that ya just wanna throat punch.

relic rescuer

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is just an "oh well" thing on eBay. They are way too in love with their sellers to ever kick them out of bed. I had one seller that was clearly false advertising, and sold me an inferior product that was not what was pictured, and had the same item for much cheaper, but they did absolutely nothing about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown