ACL SODA BOTTLE "SILK-SCREEN" SEARCH

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
~ IN SEARCH OF ~

The primary goal of this thread is to find at least one good image/photo of a genuine “Silk-Screen†like those used in the early days of acl soda bottle labeling. With the thousands of various acl soda bottles that were made over the years you’d think a photo one of those silk-screens would be an easy thing to find. But it turns out that thus far I have been unable to find even a single one. Thus my reason for starting this thread with the hope that one or more of our members might have what I’m looking for and share it with the rest of us.

I first heard of the silk-screening process about thirty years ago when I started collecting acl soda bottles. And even though I’ve had a basic understanding of the silk-screening process over the years, until just recently I never really thought much about what an actual silk-screen looked like. I do know that the earliest known printed article was a book from China titled “Diamond Sutra†that was produced in 868 AD. And I also know that commercial silk-screening was …

… first patented in England by Samuel Simon in 1907. It was originally used as a popular method to print expensive wall paper, printed on linen, silk, and other fine fabrics. Western screen printers developed reclusive, defensive and exclusionary business policies intended to keep secret their workshops' knowledge and techniques.

I also know that …

Applied color label (ACL) - is a method of labeling, lettering, or decorating a bottle by applying a mixture of borosilicate glass and mineral or organic pigments (and other substances) with a low melting point to a bottle through a metal screen and then baking it in a furnace to form what can appear to be a "painted label." In later years (mid-1950s), a thermoplastic wax medium was used and resulted in more versatility and durability. Also referred to as applied color lettering, pyroglazing, pyro, enameling, baked enamel labeling, fire-fused, silk screening, painting, painted, and printing. This style of marking bottles was most commonly found on soda, milk, and some beer bottles made from 1933 up until today.

But other than the photo below, which is macro photo close up of a silk-screen for T-shirt fabric, I cannot find an example of a soda bottle silk-screen. Even a single example of a Coca Cola, Pepsi Cola, 7up, etc. silk-screen would suffice for our interest here. But finding one is a lot easier said than done.

So if you have one, or know of a website where examples can be found, please share it with us so I and others can finally say

“Okay, great!. So that’s what a soda bottle silk-screen looks like.â€

Thanks in advance. I sincerely hope this produces some results

SODAPOPBOB

Macro close up of a fabric silk-screen.

( But where are the "thousands" of soda bottle silk-screens? )

9F1DF89BB1B94FF9967ACE6EBFBFC866.jpg

Attachments

• 9F1DF89BB1B94FF9967ACE6EBFBFC866.jpg
    9F1DF89BB1B94FF9967ACE6EBFBFC866.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 81

sodapops

Reaction score
Nice thred the BOB, I wish I could help. I would like to know my self..I would like to know if they still make em that way now and if so who does it. I have been trying to find a manufacture for years that could make me some bottles with my logo on it for restaurant. I think they would be great advertising for my restaurant and my collection addiction. So if anyone knows where I can get some ACL bottles made, please let me know.[:)][:)]

acls

Reaction score
I saw one of these screens once and it was made of wire mesh and not silk. I'm not saying they were never made of silk, just that the one I saw was made of wire. It was from the 1950s. I also saw the paint that they used. It was in a solid form that looked like large aquarium gravel. The solid paint rocks were heated up and that liquified it for use.

Sodapops- I am not sure these are a true ACL, but I think it would be worth looking in to. Sure would be neat for your cafe to have their own labeled sodas.
http://www.averysoda.com/soda.html

fishnuts

Reaction score
Perhaps this will help.
The screens are reused. That's why none exist.
The earliest days all screens were indeed cut by hand, that is to make the artwork that would then make the mask for the screen. Dangerous chemicals are washed over it the screen (actually silk), etching away parts that are not covered by the mask. That is what makes the image that inks leave on the bottle.
When photography was added to the process the maker would create a film positive from the original art. This lays on a treated screen(again, dangerous chemicals) and is processed with light and more chemicals...and thats what makes a modern screen, more or less. The point is...these screens can and will be used over and over. The maker rinses the used screen in dangerous chemicals and it becomes ready to use again. So last year's and last week's design isn't stored, or kept, to be found by us many years later. If and when the maker needs to use that design they take their existing film positive and make a new screen...

And that's why I don't think you'll find those screens.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I realize the following is a lot of information, but I thought it would help establish that we are not the only collectors interested in old soda pop silk screens. Apperently they do exist to some extent as this chat forum exchange indicates. I will have to go back and double check the date it was posted, but I believe it was somewhat recent. Plus I believe the chat forum was in some way connected to the "Soda Fizz" magazine. There may be clues here to help with related searches. "Soda bottle label proofs" is a new term to me.

SPBOB

Q From Richard Matthews : My grandfather recently passed away and I inherited a collection of silk-screen soda bottle label proofs on 8.5" x 11" card stock and I am seeking some information about them. One example of a label that I have is a "Five Point" in dark blue and white which says it is bottled "By Authority of National NuGrape Co., of Atlanta." The information on the back of the card gives the "run" date as May 6, 1938. Some of the others I have are:

"Indian Queen Root Beer" (Orange Smile Co.); "Cleo Cola" (Cleo Syrup Corp.); "Kreemo Special Root Beer" (Cherry Blossom Co.); "Double Cola" (Seminole Flavor Co.); "Rose Bud Root Beer" (National NuGrape Co.); "Lazenby's Liquid Sunshine" (Liquid Sunshine Co.); "Natural Set Up" (Natura Set Up Sales Corp.); "Pop Kola" (The Braser Co.); "Kist Root Beer" (Citrus Products Co.); "Twang" (C.O. & W.D. Sethness Co.); "Lime Cola" (Lime Cola Co.); "Sweetheart Kola" (Grimes Mfg. Co.); "Cheer Up" (Orange Smile Co.); "4U" (Star Bottling Co.); "Dr. Herring's Ginger Ale" (Herring Ginger Ale Co.); "Jumbo - A Super Cola" (Seminole Flavor Co.); "Waynola" (National NuGrape Co.); "Korker Lemon Soda Blender" (Virginia Dare Extract Co.); "Esquire---A Gentlemen's Set-Up" (Monarch Manufacturing Co.); "Town Hall" (Monarch Manufacturing Co); "Rums Dry Ginger Ale" (Nehi Co.); "Chaser" (The Chaser Co.); "Big Cola" (Buffalo Rock Co.); "Milk-Botl" (Natural Set Up Sales Corp.); "Plus 4" (Citrus Products Co.); "Alka-Time" (Ludford Fruit Products); "Nichol Kola" (H.R. Nicholson Co.); "Century" (Citrus Products Co.); "Buster Cola" (Orange Smile Co.) and "Tropi-Cola" (National NuGrape Co.)

On the back of each card is indicated the type of glass the label was applied to, the ink color designations, the screen number, and the date of printing. My grandfather worked for Owens Illinois Glass Co. in the 1930's. The label proofs above were from the time he worked for Liberty Glass Co. in Supulpa OK., and all have dates in the years 1937 or 1938.

Any information on the proofs is greatly appreciated.

[blockquote]
I would think that the information alone on the proofs would be invaluable for some of these brands, as many of us as collectors probably have the bottles that once wore these labels, and would love to know what the original label looked like, the year it was used, etc.. But...
If anyone knows anything about the items that Richard describes, please E-mail Proofs@thesodafizz.com[/blockquote]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Definitely a "Soda Fizz" chat forum dated October 19, 2002

mgardziella

Reaction score
Well, these ACL receipts/order forms indicate that a stencil was being used. So my guess is that the silk screens themselves were reused and are lost, but the stencils may remain.

0933C8C951D64886AA53A274DDB02EFA.jpg

Attachments

• 0933C8C951D64886AA53A274DDB02EFA.jpg
    0933C8C951D64886AA53A274DDB02EFA.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 83

mgardziella

Reaction score
The writing indicates size, positioning, color etc. But it also includes stencil number. GCS 958

16D5CC3C418B4D409DB50FECCF6023B6.jpg

Attachments

• 16D5CC3C418B4D409DB50FECCF6023B6.jpg
    16D5CC3C418B4D409DB50FECCF6023B6.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 82

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
mgardziella ~

Thanks. Very interesting. Especially where it says ... Factory : Streator. Which likely means the Owens-Illinois glass factory in Streator, Illinois. According to my list that particular plant is number 9, and bottles made there would have a mark that looks something like this ...

9 <(I)> 53

But I admit I am a little confused regarding what a stencil is. Is it the same thing as a silk-screen? Plus it also says ... Frame: Steel. I wonder what that refers to? Please let us know if you have a better understanding of these terms than I do. Also, does that say 10 oz on the top of the form?

In the meantime I am going to send an inquiry to the e-mail address Proofs@thesodafizz.com
and see if the Soda Fizz people know anything more about all of this and/or if they have received any replies since 2002, and if they possibly have some photos of an actual silk-screen/proof/stencil.

Thanks again,

SPBOB

mgardziella

Reaction score
I don't have any info to back it up, but I'm guessing a stencil would be something placed over a wire screen like fishnuts described. They would use the same screens, but probably have all of the stencils on file.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi