Actual photo of my dig 80 yrs ago!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rwmarler

Reaction score
This landfill is located across the street from the old Rainier Brewery South Seattle. Note the Sears Sodo Bldg. upper left corner. During The Great Depression this area was known as Hooverville (named after Pres. Hoover)where the homeless lived in crate shacks and scanvenged a living out of garbage. Today this area is the project site for Sound Transit Link Rail. I and a few others have been digging and saving as many bottles and collectables as possible. I have about 200. Unfortunatly there are thousands of them crushed and scattered on the surface by heavy equipment.

Vs55658.jpg

Attachments

• Vs55658.jpg
    Vs55658.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 71

David E

Reaction score
The Centenial Pints of "Raineer" from 1800's to 1973. Ticket with them said they made money during the Alaska Gold Rush.

Dave

Tq48528.jpg

Attachments

• Tq48528.jpg
    Tq48528.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 80

washingtonstatedigger

Reaction score
Hey there,
Here is apicture of my Rainier.I am only about 15 minutes away from where you are talking about.Whats the best thing you`ve found so far and is it still accessable?If so what time do the workers leave?Sorry the pic is so bad.

rwmarler

Reaction score
We have found mostly medicine/remedy glass bottles probably for their alcohol content. Lot of milk glass (cold cream) because of all the prostitution. I've just gotten started with photos. This was cool, a green glass shaker with brass top. More soon....

Us54109.jpg

Attachments

• Us54109.jpg
    Us54109.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 68

rwmarler

Reaction score
Oh yea, best time is sunrise on Sunday mornings. Please wear boots and leather gloves. Do not handle food, elderly, newborns, etc. untill you are well sanitized. This site is labeled as contaminated both chemically (incl. heavy metals) and biologically. See photo of aqua and yellow glass hyperdermic syringes.

Ki20476.jpg

Attachments

• Ki20476.jpg
    Ki20476.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 74

David E

Reaction score
Well I live about 30 miles away (Edmonds). That shaker looks like Vaseline glass and should glow under black light.

Dave

washingtonstatedigger

Reaction score
Hey,
Thanks for the tip!I went down there and found some decent bottles.I got a cobalt inkwell,I think its sanford`s.A bromo seltzer applied top.And various other post 1900 bottles that I will give to my friends.The amount of bottles was amazing!And cobalt everywhere!Let me know what you find down there!Thanks again.

S.C. Warner

Reaction score
it happens out in Vegas, and it happens in Moline.
Wow, needles, prostitutes and booze. You just know someone had to be looking for that lost shaker of salt![:D] Hey, fooling aside, that is a great picture. i used to hang out in that area of the US. Had relation there, Snoqualmie and in Yakima, also boot at Lewis.
Thanks for the pictures!
sc

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie