Advice for locating a dump site?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

FreeRangeAsparagus

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am very lucky to have been given access to the property of some 1880's farmland before it is sold. The owners tell me there is a dumpsite on the property but they aren't sure where. I am bringing my metal detector but farther than that, I am unsure of how to proceed to locate it. Out of privacy for the owners and their land, I cannot give a location, but here is a screenshot of the land. Extra frustrating because any history that may exist on the internet is covered up by news articles concerning the land. The red circle indicates the house that the land belongs to, the whole field behind it is on their land.

Do late 1800s dumpsites (or any for that matter) follow any sort of pattern? Is there a place based on the geography here I should look around in? I am new to hunting on land. I have watched a lot of videos of dump digs and read a lot of posts on here about it but I am still at a loss.

Best,
FRA

IMG_148D02B08B94-1.jpeg

nhpharm

Reaction score
Look for stone walls (especially corners or areas where the stone wall follows a ridge with a downward slope behind it), rock piles (sometimes these were built over early dumps), streams, bankings, or depressions. I've also found that in some cases, if the land across the street wasn't used, even if they didn't own it, they might dump on it. They usually would go downhill from the house as well.

Timelypicken

Reaction score
I've seen that next to the edge off the field or small caves they would dump stuff. What nhpharm said are good places to also look

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Visually look for any surface debris. Most show signs of being a dump by shards of broken glass, rusty metal etc on the surface. Any eroded areas might uncover something. There maybe a couple of areas used over time. Nhpharm is right about across the street. If it drops down hill off the other side of the road I would check that area out definitely.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Curious, is this dumpsite suppose to be a huge town dump, or a very small personal property House dump. because depending on what it is would determine how to find it. If a personal house dump, then go back to the wooded property line & walk all along this wooded Propert Line & look for any obvious signs like broken glass shards or more obvious garbage like washers, dryers, refrigerators, rusty buckets, ect, ect. if you don't find it that way look for a Ravine, I've found many many dumps in Ravines, if no Ravine look for any Hilly drop off. Good Luck. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky