Advice on finding railroad dumps?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dario

Reaction score
New to the forum and bottle digging and look forward to learning from you all. One thing I’ve got in my mind I want to try my hand at is finding old railroad dump sites. In my area one of the oldest things to be found are the railroads. I’ve started walking them and found some neat insulators and a few odds and ends here and there. My question is are general rules of thumb to look for dump sites? Were they near the last stop before a city, in the middle of nowhere far away from cities, near water so that they could get water when dumping, etc.. I know a lot of this will be walking and probing, but curious of ideas to narrow it down some.
If you need any advice on the insulators, feel free to ask. That is my thing. Thanks. Dario

Attachments

• 6 PACK 2.jpg
    6 PACK 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 108

SKS.TUSC

Reaction score
New to the forum and bottle digging and look forward to learning from you all. One thing I’ve got in my mind I want to try my hand at is finding old railroad dump sites. In my area one of the oldest things to be found are the railroads. I’ve started walking them and found some neat insulators and a few odds and ends here and there. My question is are general rules of thumb to look for dump sites? Were they near the last stop before a city, in the middle of nowhere far away from cities, near water so that they could get water when dumping, etc.. I know a lot of this will be walking and probing, but curious of ideas to narrow it down some.
From hours and hours of research iv read, 1-3 things were connected when finding bottles. The thinking was waterways were landfills, cemetery's were considered toxic so they usually put dumps & cemeteries together, and railroads of course was how people traveled which created trash. Find a railroad & waterway together (look), find a old cemetery (look), find a cemetery & waterway (look), find all 3 together in the same general area (definitely look)!

Fenndango

Reaction score
Trestle is a spot frequently used. I know of one in N.Y. it is inactive but still there, it runs across a major swamp estuary. Some of the stickiest mud I've ever ran in to. Loads of bottles, china and loads of old brick. Great spot for after storms. Always stuff sticking out of the bank. Where I used to live, some people threw their garbage over the fence onto the railroad property. They even grew vegetable gardens. Used it like it was theirs. Usually nothing in them. I don't like being behind houses anyway. I feel odd in creeks behind houses also, maybe just me but I respect their privacy even if I have every right to be where I am. Where I go there is a dirt access road that runs right along side the tracks. People use it all the time traveling miles up and down the river. There are parks to have lunch off of it and boat launches. Always traffic or people walking there. So not really frowned upon if I snoop around I figured. Try that in N.J. and I bet they call the police on you in 2 seconds flat. Be safe and good luck.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
And the police show up 2 hours later lol

Bottle 2 Rocks

Reaction score
Proceed to the tracks, if you hear rumbling put your ear to the track and listen. If a loud horn disrupts you please roll to the side away from rails. After this near death experience proceed north 20 miles then turn left into the woods. There must be sticker bushes and a swarm of mosquitos or your not in the right place. Only after deer ticks start showing up in droves on your pant legs should you begin to dig. Didn't find anything huh? Maybe it was to the south then.

Lbrewer42

Reaction score
I can post some pictures but from what I’ve read they are more common ones. Hemingway 42, 45 & 46
HeminGray or H.G.Co. My spell check likes to change it to the author's name also!
Hemingray made made a lot of bottles, lamps, and other glassware as well.
The 42 and 45 are common, but I am pretty sure that "46" is a typo? I don't believe Hemingray made with number 46. I have just a few insulators around the house and outside :)

@dario...What is the world coming to? They let YOU On here? :) :) :)
Don't let him fool you anyone! He knows so little about insulators that he is literally the insulator hobby's owner/caretaker of the system we use to identify every North American glass insulator (the CD numbering system)! He is a hobby celebrity who everyone goes to in order to get a new assignments for newly discovered insulators fro North America. I had to toot his horn for him b/c he is also a very humble guy!

Attachments

• 43311_InsulatorWindow_Display.jpg
    43311_InsulatorWindow_Display.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Old man digger

Reaction score
HeminGray or H.G.Co. My spell check likes to change it to the author's name also!
The 42 and 45 are common, but I am pretty sure that "46" is a typo? I don't believe Hemingray made with number 46. I have just a few insulators around the house and outside :)

Don't let him fool you anyone! He knows so little about insulators that he is literally the insulator hobby's owner/caretaker of the system we use to identify every North American glass insulator (the CD numbering system)! He is a hobby celebrity who everyone goes to in order to get a new assignments for newly discovered insulators fro North America. I had to toot his horn for him b/c he is also a very humble guy!
Here in my area of Pa. they will put the handcuffs on you and cart you off to the local state police barracks. Railroad cops enforce their no trespass rules with vim and vigor.

Woodsy

Reaction score

He (Dario) has been very generous and helped me with a few newbie questions already. Stand up guy for sure.

SKS.TUSC

Reaction score

Jealous, just Jealous.
Yes I came here just to say that! ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp