After flood dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kwalker

Reaction score
Feels good to at least get out there and see some glass that isn't broken...The stuff's all common but it's a helluva lot better than sitting inside all day and having a....pity party? At any rate, I got about two or three hours of digging in before a thunderstorm scared me outta my dump.

Before I left, I took an old BBQ poker and fashioned it into a scratcher on the fly. I was quite proud of my newly crafted tool and was looking forward to getting to it. I stuck it in the rear pouch of my old backpack and set off. The handle was sticking out a little bit but I guess a little too much for the trek back. Of course once I got to the dig site I found that a tree branch ever so delicately opened the pouch and knocked my poker on the ground. I retraced my steps through the mucky flood-ridden trails but I couldnt find my beloved new tool [:(] I decided I would try to improvise with a trowel I stashed at my site a while back.

My town got over seven inches of rain in a two day period here. Three inches is enough to flood the river to the point of taking over 50 acres of trees....This past weekend destroyed a lot of the forests around here and put my trails under two or three feet of water. And I get freaked out when there's one or two inches on them [;)] With the flood waters somewhat back to normal I came to find that my site was so thankfully protected by the levees of tail piles I made. Neato! Too bad they collapsed on where I wanted to originally dig. However just as I threw my first shovelful of dirt I noticed someone watching me....

A middle aged colored man was fishing on the flooded river about 50 feet away from me. I quickly got into the awkward moose persona as I usually do around new people. I simply said "Hi, I'm just diggin' for bottles; so I won't bother you" He then went on to say how he's seen my spot before and found some of the commons I left behind and he even scratched around himself....awesome. It wasn't long though before he said "the fish must've moved to another town...I can't get a single bite!" and left. I lit up a Citronella candle and got to work trying to find a place to dig at least a little. The first bottle to come out was a Tobia's Venetian Horse Liniment. I came to find out they're pretty common but this one just seemed to miss the pontil era with a pretty crude Key mold and a really nice applied top with some stretch marks. A little honey hole gave me about 10 bottles with a few I kept.

I happily dug for another few hours before the rumble of thunder in the distance made me scurry to try to pack up my stuff. I got out of the woods and home safely before the rain started coming down and was able to clean my finds up and present them all for you to marvel upon...behold the common-ness of my bounty [;)] Like I said; better than doing nothing for the day.

Camden Bottling Co. crown. Huge bottle too, almost a foot tall. As you can see we no longer have a window to set things on for photographing...
008-8.jpg

009-10.jpg

Dr. Tobias Venetian Horse Liniment. Common but I gotta say I love the shape and the way this bottle was made. A little whittled and a little stretched with a few pot stones here and there (I love them in some bottles for some reason)

010-8.jpg

You know those slicks that you sometimes end up keeping for one reason or another? This here's an example. The picture doesn't do it justice how DEEP this aqua color is especially around the rings on the shoulder and lip and on the base. Sometimes an ugly slick can have a nice side to it [;)]
012-7.jpg

Here's a paddle for applying "Antiphylogistine" which I came to find out is a paste/gel put on horses and animals for muscle aches and other injuries to take pain and swelling away. "Apply warm and thick" because it comes in a tub and has the consistency of leather balsam. I'm guessing you'd heat it up to a more workable gel and go from there. The whole thing's about 7 x 2"

011-8.jpg

rockbot

Reaction score
interesting outing and yes any day digging beats hanging around the boob tube![;)]

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting dump. If the liniment is really applied and not tooled, then that's cool. It's probably 40 years older than that crown top, which I'm assuming is machine made. Think it was a late throw, or does the dump really span that whole time period? Or is my 1920 date for the crown wrong? [8|]

kwalker

Reaction score
There's a wide range of age in this dump...Theres been a few pontil shards and some really crude and bubbly lips so I guess there's either a bunch of late throws or this dump has a wide range of age. Just across the hole there's 20s and 30s sodas coming out of there too so I have no idea really what's going on here.

If anything, I'd assume the date range here is anywhere from 1890 to around 1930. I've dug quite a few crown tops and early machine made ones while at the same times digging a few older bottles here and there. I'm guessing late throws indefinitely. All told I've dug around 80 or 85 bottles from this site alone with 60 or so being keepers. So I've gotta admit that this dump has done some good for me.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky