Agana Guam Hobbleskirt Coke

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
PS ~

Also notice in the picture I just posted that not all of the crates are identical to one another. There are obvious variations, including the lettering as well as some that appear to have different and/or possibly no metal straps.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'm still researching the operation dates for the Owens-Illinois Toledo, Ohio plant, and althought the following is kinda weak, it does indicate that "something" was going on in Toledo in the 1940s.

I intentionally highlighted 1946 and the word plant's. I realize this doesn't confirm a "bottling plant" in 1946, but nor does it say Corporate Headquarters, either.

Bob

http://www.utoledo.edu/library/canaday/HTML_findingaids/MSS-182.html

Biographical Sketch:

Joseph M. Jackson was born on September 25, 1917, in Kenova, West Virginia. In 1940 he got a job working at the Owens-Illinois Glass factory in Huntington, West Virginia, and soon became the plant photographer. About 1946 he was transferred to Owens-Illinois in Toledo as a photographer in the plant's extensive Film Division. Later he became the manager of the Glass Container Division’s photographic department located in the Owens-Illinois Duraglas Center downtown. Jackson died in Toledo on September 3, 1957, due to a congenital heart condition. He was survived by his wife, Josephine; his daughter, Sara; his mother, Mrs. Harry McFann; and his sister, Mrs. Donald Watts.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

Osia ~

I can't speak for everyone, but my personal interest involved with this discussion is with the hope of eventually finding answers to the following questions ... with a specific focus on the Owens-Illinois circa 1941-43 through 1951 Clear Glass Coca Cola bottles which are typically referred to as WWII bottles, and which have the words Trade Mark embossed below the script but that do not have the city/state embossed on the bases ...

Questions:

1. Where were the clear glass bottles made?
2. How many different glass factories made the clear glass bottles?
3. Were the clear glass bottles intended only for shipment to GI's during WWII?
4. Why were they made of clear glass instead of the typical green color?
5. Why don't the majority (if not all) of the clear glass bottles have cities/states embossed on the bases?
6. What do the so called embossed codes stand for? Especially the letters?
7. Etc; etc.

If anyone can direct me to a website or book that has the answers to the above questions, I will glady resourse it and share that information here.

And as to "why" this information interest me? The answer is because I am the curious type who loves doing soda bottle research, especially when it involves aspects of the hobby that are currently unknown.

Bob

That's cool, cause I was wondering..................................and knowing how you go off on a mission.

epackage

Reaction score
Has this link been posted and have you read thru it yet Bob?

http://cocacolabottleman.wordpress.com/2010/05/27/coca-cola-and-the-military/

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

Has this link been posted and have you read thru it yet Bob?

http://cocacolabottleman.wordpress.com/2010/05/27/coca-cola-and-the-military/

Jim ~

Thanks for bringing that to our attention again.

But, yes ... That link was initially posted by me on page #2 - reply #35. Although it contains some helful information regarding the Trade Mark and various dates, I think one of the reasons it fell out of favor (at least with me) is because it uses the word "Theories." What I am looking for personally are "facts" and "confirmations" not theories.

Here's another one of my WWII Coca Cola related pictures. You guys are really going to yell at me if I go off on a tangent and try to figure out what all of the stenciling stands for. On second thought, maybe that isn't a bad idea after all ... hmmm, I wonder?

Bob

D625D02CC9C24C3AAADF9C8079E6DF6B.jpg

Attachments

• D625D02CC9C24C3AAADF9C8079E6DF6B.jpg
    D625D02CC9C24C3AAADF9C8079E6DF6B.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 107

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Osia ~

I just wanted to acknowledge your use of the word "cool," especially in relation to me, which is rarely the situation. Anyway, thanks for that. You made my day!

Merry Christmas and enjoy all of that Fanta.

Bob

epackage

Reaction score
Sorry Bob, I didn't want to read thru the whole post again because it didn't really draw my interest... Good luck with your query

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jim ~

No apologies necessary. I think the main thing for me are the so called code "letters." They intrigue me because I know they were intentional and have some specific meaning. But finding that meaning is the challenging part and what keeps me coming back for more.

Bob

Bill H

Reaction score
Bob,

The cases with straps were interesting, so I looked at my case to see if there were strap marks imbedded into the wood, either on the ends of the case or the bottom. There weren't. I can only assume my case at one time had a wood top, but I don't know.

The markings on my case are similar to the markings on the case in your photo. The markings on my case are first, the top line: REQN. 04-197-0-16547-45 and second, the line underneath: J.C.Q.M.D. P.O, 18418-C-VSD-14. REQN must stand for Requisition Number, and P.O. must stand for Purchase Order.

I believe, although I don't know, that J.C.Q.M.D. stands for Jersey City Quartermaster Depot (#7 on the below list) Here is a list of naval military installations in Jersey City during the war:

Jersey City, New Jersey

Army Market Center, Jersey City, N.J.
Navy Cost Inspector, Westinghouse ELectric Elevator Co., Jersey City, N.J.
Navy market Office, Union Terminal Cold Storage Co., Jersey City, N.J.
Navy market Officer, Jersey City, N.J.
Westinghouse Electric Elevator Co., Jersey City, N.J.
Resident Naval Inspector of Ordnance, Westinghouse ELectric Elevator Co., Jersey City, N.J.
Jersey City Quartermaster Depot, Jersey City, N.J.
Naval Training School (Supplemental) (MK. 50 Director), Westinghouse Electric Elevator Co., Jersey City, N.J. [/ol]
I found two references to JCQMD on the Internet for the Jersey City Quartermaster Depot. It might be interesting to do more reasearch, but not a productive management of my time.

During the war the Army had a large presence in Alaska, but with one exception the northern most installation I could find was in Fairbanks. The Aleutians had quite a bit of Army, including Dutch Harbor. The one exception to Fairbanks was Point Barrow, where the Army did have a radar station before the end of the war. In 1954 the DEW line was established, and 7 DEW line stations were completed on the North Slope in 1957. One of those stations was next to the Eskimo village of Kaktovik. I've been to Kaktovik. It's quite possible my case of Coke was dug out of some warehouse after the war and sent to one of the DEW line stations, maybe the one near Kaktovik. The liklihood of digging further into this stuff and coming up with something meaningful is probably nil, and only of interest to me.

Wishing everyone on this site a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I've enjoyed the my experience talking with a nice group of people. All the best.

Bill H

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Bill ~

Your contributions to this discussion are to be commended and have opened up a variety of aspects worthy of more research. Its not every day we have the opportunity to discuss bottles ranging from the frozen tundra of the north to the tropical islands of the south. But its not just the bottles themselves that make this sort of discussion interesting, it also includes individuals like ourselves who share a common interest and who are attracted to forums like this one to share those interest. This might sound a little hokey, but I liken the collecting of bottles somewhat to that of forming friendships. In both cases if they are not properly cared for they can become cracked and sometimes even broken. So it is with this spirit of comaradery that I wish you and every other member on this forum the best and hope you all have a wonderful Christmas experience.

Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18