Agana Guam Hobbleskirt Coke

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Another ... "Just For The Record / Summary"

The following is based strictly on the bottles listed on this thread and is of the currently known letter/number combinations. I am listing them into two categories ~ Clear and Green. I intentionally did not included the dates so as to make the primary focus on the letters and numbers themselves (and some of examples with a letter only) with the hope that someone might see a pattern of some type among them. I did not include whether or not they have the large or small Trademark as I am not entirely sure about that distinction just yet. Nor did I seperate those marked with Oakland, California and those with other cities/states as I am not entirely sure about all of that, either.

Reminder of currently known letters ... A ~ B ~ C ~ D ~ H ~ K ~ L ~ N ~ O ~ P ~ R ~ S

First List ... Clear Glass ~ All made by Owens-Illinois ~ None have a city/state on the base. (Listed randomly).

6N
5R
8N
8A
17B
7B
S
15B
H
C
18B
5L
2C
8P
8R
O

Second List ... Green Glass ~ All made by Owens-Illinois (Listed randomly).

9D
2A
3A
8A
B3

Do you see a pattern? I don't! Not yet, anyway.

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Now here's the same list again, but this time with the dates added ...

First List ... Clear Glass ~ All made by Owens-Illinois ~ None have a city/state on the base. (Listed randomly).

6N ... 1945
5R ... 1945
8N ... 1945
8A ... 1944
17B . 1945
7B ... 1945
S ..... 1945
15B . 1945
H .... 1944
C .... 1945
18B . 1945
5L ... 1944
2C .. 1944
8P ... 1944
8R ... 1944
O ..... 1944

Second List ... Green Glass ~ All made by Owens-Illinois (Listed randomly).

9D ... 1944
5K ... 1944
2A ... 1944
3A ... 1947
8A ... 1950
B3 ... 1950

And one I missed earlier ...

S ..... 1945

Do you see a pattern emerging yet?

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Of the 22 bottles listed ...

9 are dated 1944
10 are dated 1945
1 is dated 1947
2 are dated 1950

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Bob................I have know idea as to what conclusion you are trying to come to, but has it ever occurred to you that the randomness of the numbers and letters could represent nothing more than 'lot numbers'?

Just a thought.

In case some who are unfamiliar with lot numbers are.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lot_number

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Osia ~

The conclusion that I and others hope to determine is "exactly" what the letter/number combos stand for? It is not a matter of "need to know" or anything like that, but rather just another challenge among many challenges involving soda bottle marks that have yet to be answered, especially involving WWII era bottles, which very little seems to be known or has ever been written about. In other words, its no big deal really, just "something to do" related to soda bottle collecting. As you know, I love a good challenge whether it is ever solved or not. No harm in that that I'm aware of.

As for the possibility of the combos being "lot numbers" and/or "codes," that is certainly a possibility. However, as the link you posted indicates, the term "lot" could mean any number of things, including ...

1. Identification.
2. Ingredients.
3. Labor.
4. Equipment Records.

Not to mention other possibilities like ...

5. Number of bottles produced.
6. Where produced.
7. Etc; etc.

I appreciate the participation and suggestion, as I'm sure the other contributors of this thread do, and I truly believe what you suggest is definitely well worth taking a closer look at. However, what you suggest (in my opinion) still falls into the category of guesswork and speculation, (which, as you know, I am a master at). But it still doesn't "confirm" what the combos stand for. For me, "confirmation" is the primary key to establishing any bona fide record. Thus, searching for that elusive confirmation is what spurs me onward with the hope of eventually finding the correct answers.

Thanks again.

Bob

42station

Reaction score
Does Coca-Cola have any type of department or personnel that could provide the information that you are looking for?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: 42station

Does Coca-Cola have any type of department or personnel that could provide the information that you are looking for?

42 ~

That's a $64.00 question. My last inquiry resulted in them telling me they no longer have a department for such inquiries. At least not via Email. I suspect they get bombarded with thousands of inquiries these days and consequently had to pull the plug on it. It wouldn't surprise me the only way to get any specific information from the Coca Cola Company now would be if you had clout and possibly were an esblished author or the like researching a book. And even then it would likely be by appointment only. Please give it a try and see what results.

Thanks.

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Setting the letters aside for the moment and focusing on just the numbers from the list, and irregardless of the operation (start-close) dates from the various Owens-Illinois charts, which might or might not be accurate, I have discovered without exception that every one of the numbers corresponds with a Owens-Illinois plant that was once operated somewhere in the United States.

They are ...

Clear Bottles:

6 = Charleston, WV
5 = Charlotte, MI
8 = Glassboro, NJ & New Orleans, LA
17 = Clarion, PA
7 = Alton, IL
15 = Okmulgee, OK & Waco, TX
18 = Columbus, OH
2 = Huntington, WV

Green Bottles:

9 = Streator, IL
3 = Fairmont, WV

Do you think this is just a coincedence or a possible connection?

Bob

42station

Reaction score
Okay, I shall give it a try. They do have an archivist by the name of Philip F. Mooney, unless I am looking at old info.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
42 ~

I hope you are successful and will look forward to hearing what transpires.

Good luck and many thanks.

Bob

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky