ALL Members & Administrators Contribute Please.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

westKYdigger

Reaction score
Here's the base. Pontil?

Attachments

• b8fc2d924a204a2f876ea6d18d54fc7d.jpg
    b8fc2d924a204a2f876ea6d18d54fc7d.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 91

sandchip

Reaction score
Tim, It's not pontilled but definitely a cool piece. Very few of the offset neck inks were pontilled. Bert, I like the J&IEMs and would give probably 10 or so for one like that. I found one like yours in the creek years ago with a hole in it, then later about half of another in light yellow amber. That piqued my interest in them even more, because I never expected to find one down this way, and always associated them with northern parts of the country for some reason. Maybe I'll find a whole one eventually. Red, you're right about it having to take a good bit of skill to blow bottles like that. Those gaffers of the day just amaze me with how they were able to position the parison in the mold without pinching it, while doing it quickly. I'd have a mess on my hands and would probably be out sweeping the streets in short order. Wait, I had to do that as a teenager. [:mad:]

Bert DeWitt

Reaction score
RED Matthews said:
I just found a reference on these inks that will help you all.  In Michael Polak's book on BOTTLES,  third edition page 228 I thought covers them.  But the page is wrong. And my wife is calling me

Gotta go.  RED M.
Thanks RED, I have his fifth and sixth edition. I've been slowly acquiring all bottle and glass book I can find at the used book stores.

WestKYdigger very nice pull!!! Who knows maybe you'll pull something similar soon!

Sandchip that's awesome! You keep at it and I known you will.

Thanks you everyone, Bert DeWitt

glass man

Reaction score
I like them too and will get around to getting one some day hopefully..but there are just so many bottles I want more!! JAMIE

Bert DeWitt

Reaction score
glass man said:
I like them too and will get around to getting one some day hopefully..but there are just so many bottles I want more!! JAMIE

I understand that, I'm sure that goes for most members of this forum.
Thnks for contributing, Bert DeWitt

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I just sold mine in a bundle deal at the Merrimack Valley show. I figure about $5 but it had a much shorter burst top and ground lip (50/50). It was also very clear though.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello to all of you. I just went through this post and didn't find where I had tried to tell you my two cents of help. This bottle style is called a lot of names, from turtle to iglow. I have seen them called umbrella inks, by Michael Polak in his recent 7th edition. BOTTLES I have three or four of them, and expect to make a blog for my homepage this winter that will cover the inks. This particular design has to have the shaped parison laid in the mold with the main glass laying on it's side in the closed mold before the final blow. At this time the hot glass can drop down and stick to the bottom side. The final blwo will lift a spike of contact that will create a vertical "bird swing" in the bottle. I have seen them pictured, but d9n't have one, I do have other bird swing bottles though. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi again; I just looked in Michael Polk's edition 6 pg 236 - and he call's it an Igloo Ink there, but the one shown has taller side wall construction. I am in Florida for the winter, so I looked in an older book. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
If you have an edition of Michael Polak's books on bottles, he has covered different ones quite often and refers to them as Igloo Inks. I have two now and about fourty inks is a couple box's. The interesting thing about the igloos is that the parison form had to be laid on its side in the closed mold, and the hot glass often settled to contact the lower side- inside= and lifted a birds swing inside the igloo. I don't have one but have seen them pictured by collectors on the forum. I think Joe in PA had a cobalt one pictured. RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac