Amethyst Purple Keystone.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
There are no natural made purple canning jars other than the modern and those sun, light box or irradiated ones that I know of. the drey is irratiated in my opinion
Finally an answer that comes from a knowledgable jar collector. I see crazy colored reproductions. I hate reproductions and I hate irradiated bottles. I wish I had known before. Oh well live and learn. Now i have learned from my mistake. Thank-you so much for clarifying Corey's.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
coreya is correct - no canning jars were made in amethyst. They were clear when manufactured and turned amethyst when exposed to the sun for a long period of time OR turned a darker purple when irradiated. That doesn't make a jar fake! It's an old jar that has been modified by an artificial process. The Trademark Keystone is a clear jar that was turned amethyst by the sun. The Drey jar in question has been irradiated (imo) 1014.1 Flaccus Bros Steers Head-nuked.JPG, I don't care that the seller says its "not modified" - it is. I have one irradiated jar in my collection, simply to have one. I did not however, pay more for it than I would have a clear jar.

coreya

Reaction score
If you heat up an irradiated or altered jar in the oven for several hours it will revert to clear or its natural color, never pay for the hype of an artificially colored jar they are worth what a regular like jar is. Be very careful if you do the oven method as jars have been known to shatter.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
If you heat up an irradiated or altered jar in the oven for several hours it will revert to clear or its natural color, never pay for the hype of an artificially colored jar they are worth what a regular like jar is. Be very careful if you do the oven method as jars have been known to shatter.
I have heard that oven trick but never had the guts to do it. I have heard of some jars being worth more clear because of so many being irradiated. I forget where I heard this and which jar they were referring to. If you can reverse the irradiated effect in the oven, I think it may have just been another untrue statement I picked up somewhere. I don't want to spread any rumors.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Naturally sun turned bottles are usually uneven in coloration as the sun hit one side more than the other. That one may have been done in a light box. That used to be a common practice.
Bottles are not perfect one side could be reasonably thicker than another side causing the effect that it is only half purple. I find purple glass shards on the surface where I go by the river. It seems to me the thicker the glass the more purple it looks. I always thought of a glass bottle as being fiber optic in nature. Sun hits one spot and transfers through out the bottle. Can a bottle being half buried with dirt half filling the inside causing purple irradiation on one side only? I have not found one like this yet. I just wonder that's all.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Finally an answer that comes from a knowledgable jar collector. I see crazy colored reproductions. I hate reproductions and I hate irradiated bottles. I wish I had known before. Oh well live and learn. Now i have learned from my mistake. Thank-you so much for clarifying Corey's.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
My spell check is such a pain. I meant Coreya.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Huntindog

Reaction score
I've found bottles on Scuba in O visibility at 40 feet deep and no light that were as purple as your jar.
So I would say that UV light will effect the entire bottle whether half buried or not.
Great looking jar though...

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I've found bottles on Scuba in O visibility at 40 feet deep and no light that were as purple as your jar.
So I would say that UV light will effect the entire bottle whether half buried or not.
Great looking jar though...
I always wanted to dive for bottles like you and a couple of others on this site.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

woods_walker

Reaction score
I always wanted to dive for bottles like you and a couple of others on this site.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Me to! I love water until it’s over my head then I don’t like it to much lol. I guess it’s the unknown or not being able to see what’s down there that freaks me out a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown