Ancestry - Family History

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ktbi

Reaction score
I've been tracing my family history and building a family tree for close to a year now and having a lot of fun with it. Is anyone else doing this for their family tree? Have you been successful. I found that using Ancestry.com is helpful, fantastic actually, but you have to watch the mistakes - and there are a lot. I've seen many family trees where the kids were documented as being born before the parents, or other obvious mistakes. Someone will import/copy the erroneous data, it spreads, and before you know it - everyone has it wrong. I've been using official records (census, draft, etc) to verify every link. I've gotten back to Johannes De Hibernia (1045-1088), my 27th Great Grandfather. One of my Grandfathers was a Colonial Soldier and died as a British Prisoner of War. I've found other interesting stories and the best part is that this is my family!

I'd like to hear of other success stories. Anyone? Ron

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I am related to Lucy a hominid with a hair lip and a bad limp.She was the first true vegatarian and refused to bath.She wore corrective pantyhose, depends and had a wicked mustache that when you kissed her she would about poke your eye out it has been said in family Bibles.She is my great grandmother to the 5000th power...........Now seriously my Dads brother has done a very good job with our familys history dataing it back to New Foundland in the late 1600s.I also had a relative that fought along side of George Washington at the battle of Mommouth in New Jersey.My dads side is also related to Eleanor Roosevelt.I will ask my uncle Bob what he can share with me. A very nice job Ron,prepare for endless nights searching and waiting for responses from other distant members

RedGinger

Reaction score
I have done as much as I can on that site, without paying. I've had a few matches, but can't contact them without the $ part. My friend is having a lot of success with her family tree on there. Her husband did a lot of research on her family history as well. He was able to find my grandfather (born in 1885)'s draft card and that his wife and I might be related! She is my best friend, so that is pretty cool! I hope to be able to do more research in the future. Wonder if I'm related to any people on this forum? Any geneaologists on here?

I am also really interested in taking one of those DNA tests, to determine what parts of the world your ancestors came from.

nydigger

Reaction score
I have done mine but most stuff is recent within the last 150 years. My wife on the other hand I have traced back and found out she is related to a pair of the first settlers of Orange County, New York. They were Sarah Wells and her husband William Bull, that beat my family search by about 150 years or so lol....ok so I actually got hers back to 1598...so count in first European settlers of US

rockbot

Reaction score
My daughter has a copy of our family tree. My grandma and aunty's made a pretty good one years ago but it does't go back that far. No relatives left in Portugal
that we can contact.[:(]

Plumbata

Reaction score
I haven't researched much into my family history, but according to family lore the Rockwell side of my family (my father's mother's family) came to New England in 1630. My mother's father's family, the Vinsons, arrived very early in New York also. Apparently I would be considered a 3rd cousin to Norman Rockwell, and am also related to George Lincoln Rockwell, the founder of the American Nazi Party/Movement. He was so notorious that there is a wikipedia page about him... [:(]

Poison_Us

Reaction score
My wife did it on Ancestry.com for a year. She did subscribe and did all she could in one line of her family. But the trail ended at the Atlantic and she couldn't continue unless she paid for the European package as well, so it ended. She did a short, immediate branch for my family, but a good portion of that was done by my aunt back on the left coast [8D]
She had fun with it, and she discovered a few relatives and even had a visit with one while we lived in WI. and still hears from here now and then.

RedGinger

Reaction score
I did have my grandmother's one family tree. It was all in German, but we were able to decipher some of it. Funny that there were a couple of Elise's, the same name I had picked out if I ever had a daughter. I wish I still had that tree. I would like to find out more about my father and paternal grandfather's side. I do know we are related to President Woodrow Wilson on my grandfather's side. Other than that, it's all Morrisons, Gallaghers, Hurleys, James, Flannerys, and other Scotch-Irish immigrants. The settled in the South as so many did. I find it interesting that the Southern accent we know today, derived from their accent. I didn't even know until my best friend, with similar ancestry told me that.

ktbi

Reaction score
I'm only 3rd generation American on my Mother's side and I ran into a lot of roadblocks trying to access international records, so I coughed up the additional bucks for that access. It worked out and I've learned quite a bit. Most of my family is from Scotland, England, and Ireland. I was not aware that the Southern Accent is Scottish/Irish derived. That is interesting....Ron

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora