another 1858 jar? help appreciated

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

accebr

Reaction score
I'm really new to all this and could use some help!

My grandpa passed away 10 years ago and we only recently got around to going through his mason jar collection. This one caught my eye and I've been trying to date it.

It reads:

MASON'S
PATENT
NOV 30TH

001_zps60a1c736.jpg

The lettering is very evenly spaced and sized. There are NO other markings on it besides a 41 on the base.

003_zpsb2eed4f9.jpg

The lip is not smooth at all, I'm not sure what the word for it is. There are two "seams" going evenly down both sides. There are also air bubbles in the glass and slight vertical striations that you can see and feel. It's a very light blue (teal?) in color.

004_zps29f2c68e.jpg

The pictures could be a lot clearer but if anyone needs clarification let me know. It really is a pretty little jar. Believe it's a pint? I read online that there are a lot of reproductions of this jar. Would there be any real way to tell when this was made and if it is a reproduction or not?

MNJars

Reaction score
Your jar looks legit to me, even though the pictures are a little blurry. Reproductions are usually made in rare colors, or of very rare jars. It looks to be pint size and you mentioned. It looks like a standard aqua color (collectors don't like to use the word teal unless it is actually TEAL, which is a fairly rare color for old glass). Based on your description the lip is probably ground, but we'd need to see a picture to be sure.

This jar was probably made 1880-1900 depending on the lip (ground or smooth), others on the forum might be a little more specific. But either way, quite a lot of them were made, so quite a few survive today.

Nice little pint jar!

accebr

Reaction score
This was the only camera that had battery life, and I was really getting impatient to put this on here! Now that I've researched a bit more about these jars, I know the lip is definitely ground.

Thank you for your help!

If anyone knows a more exact date I'd love to hear it! Out of curiosity is it worth anything or is it pretty common?

Oh and I wanted to clarify - that last picture isn't very blurry! That's how the jar looks up close.

goodman1966

Reaction score
Does the lip look like this? If so it is definitely ground.

6C57BC72EBA44970952EC15D1FC20F0C.jpg

Attachments

• 6C57BC72EBA44970952EC15D1FC20F0C.jpg
    6C57BC72EBA44970952EC15D1FC20F0C.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 83

coreya

Reaction score
The ground lip jar roughly dates prior to 1900 and that style of jar with the markings visible would be in the 1890-1900 area. All of the info is thanks to "the fruit jar works" and other research material.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Turn on the "macro" setting on your camera. That will allow you to take close-ups in focus.

accebr

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jarsnstuff

Turn on the "macro" setting on your camera. That will allow you to take close-ups in focus.

I would gladly have done that, but I've only recently moved and couldn't find my camera charger. I used my fiance's IPod.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky