Another Question... 2 Little Amber Bottles and 1 Clear

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GlassKitTin

Surface Scratcher
Reaction score
That was quite a read! Fascinating though. Interesting facts on war-time production, and I liked the new-to-me info on like when bottle deposits and stuff started. Curious how such a thing would work here in Ohio, if I remember right they were debating or at least talking about starting a bottle and can deposit a few years ago, but I guess it never went anywhere as I’ve never heard any more about it.
Also would love to find one of those wide mouth rip-top bottles it showed from I think it said Heidelberg brewery maybe. That’s a neat looking bottle! Thanks for the link.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I'm surprised they talked about the Beer can as much as they did in that Article. They failed to mention they still did make the Beer during the war years. The non tinned Crowntainer cone top & the Camouflaged Olive Drab Military Beer Can made for the Troops Overseas. LEON.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
That was quite a read! Fascinating though. Interesting facts on war-time production, and I liked the new-to-me info on like when bottle deposits and stuff started. Curious how such a thing would work here in Ohio, if I remember right they were debating or at least talking about starting a bottle and can deposit a few years ago, but I guess it never went anywhere as I’ve never heard any more about it.
Also would love to find one of those wide mouth rip-top bottles it showed from I think it said Heidelberg brewery maybe. That’s a neat looking bottle! Thanks for the link.
I have an extra wide mouth bottle if you're interested, I may make it down to Deerfield when they re-open the antique store on the 15th, (if I get down there it would be on Saturday the 16th), I also have many extra Handy's/glass can style bottles as well (along with many other style bottles).

Last edited:

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
I'm not sure what year that document on NDNR bottles was done, but I find it odd that in the beginning section regarding the Handy bottles it states that the only color glass used was amber, I'm sure the article is later than 1963 and they had to know that Schlitz used "Royal Ruby" as color for a short period of time, to date I own the Royal Ruby, green, clear/flint and of coarse the amber color Handy's, I missed out on a rare milk glass handy used by Carling for a very short time a couple months ago that was listed on eBay as a BIN, and before I saw the listing, it was snapped up by another collector, rather pricey at $100. plus shipping. A picture of the milk glass bottle.
20191012_133135.jpg

Last edited:

GlassKitTin

Surface Scratcher
Reaction score
I have an extra wide mouth bottle if you're interested, I may make it down to Deerfield when they re-open the antique store on the 15th, (if I get down there it would be on Saturday the 16th), I also have many extra Handy's/glass can style bottles as well (along with many other style bottles).

Awesome!! That would be cool. I love that antique store, can wander around for a very long time just trying to see everything, good way to spend a weekend day. I went there the last weekend they were open before the shutdown and scored two blue FiestaWare pieces and a cool iridescent pink glass lion, lol. Lots of neat stuff in there!

GlassKitTin

Surface Scratcher
Reaction score
Ok got the other little brown bottle somewhat cleaned up, though still some yuck on the inside. Got some better pics maybe. Still curious as what was in it though? I’m sure it’s nothing special, but still would like to be able to say, ‘Oh, that’s a whatever bottle,’ yknow? :)

Attachments

• F7E41D36-B567-4454-B467-D82BC2245DC2.jpeg
    F7E41D36-B567-4454-B467-D82BC2245DC2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 143
  • 62B6C44D-FABF-43D6-8D9E-A14A417C7E19.jpeg
    62B6C44D-FABF-43D6-8D9E-A14A417C7E19.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 246
  • A73F42A3-B9DC-42FE-B2BB-C08D666625C1.jpeg
    A73F42A3-B9DC-42FE-B2BB-C08D666625C1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 226

GlassKitTin

Surface Scratcher
Reaction score
Ok, I believe I have solved my own mystery here! Drumroll please.......
I think it’s a Clairol Loving Care hair dye bottle. Ta-Da! :p I spent awhile on the sha website first, looking at extract bottles and polishes, and all kinds of stuff. Then google just typing in like ‘1970s extract bottle’ ‘1970s polish bottle’ ‘1970s cough syrup’ and whatever other little kitchen or bathroom type product I could think of until I got to hair dye. Then, winner! Pretty sure anyways. Found one on Pinterest that says 1972, and one with a lid and label for sale on eBay that says 1968. So, yay, I’m satisfied now!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac