Another top shelf Bitters CATAWA WINE BITTERS (C-85)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I have dug those out here, but never thought that one would come out of NYC. CWB was heavily promoted and sold in CA during and immediately following the Gold Rush years.

pearcouch

Reaction score
i dug that catawba and would have loved to keep it but made a deal with my friend who got access to the site that we would split the finds. it did'nt look very promising, go figure.

can someone tell me why the catawba wine bitters that sold at ABA in 08 only brought $2800?

tigue710

Reaction score
A couple factors, it is an excellent example, top notch for sure, has great character, the bird swing, awesome color, and often a fresh to the market bottle hightens interest...

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Assigning a "value" to any bottle is difficult. There are many variables involved, especially in auction situations, but willing bidders and buyers are paramount in the success or failure of a bottle to make top dollar. Often, two collectors who want a particular bottle will go head to head and drive the price to an unusually high level. Auction prices realized can not be used to assign "value" to any bottle. Of the three Catawbas sold through ABA, a deep green smooth base example, sold for a "low" $2000, but it had a tiny flake on the collar. Another, bright green with IP, and a 1/8" annealing check in the neck sold for $6000. A smooth base example in very rare light amber brought $7500. Your bottle brought a "middle of the road" $4900 and change, a very reasonable and satisfactory ending for both seller and buyer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac