Antique bottles at reasonable prices

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I don't disagree with you. However, the repros get better and better over time. An ABM 1976 lestoil "flask" is one thing, and a very good, hand made, pontiled and properly colored Steigel flask is something else. And many people seem to buy these repros as real, giving them a certain cachet on ebay, leading others to believe they are real.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: kungfufighter

If you are unable to distinguish real from repro you should not collect at price points greater than what you are willing to lose.. Just sayin'.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: kungfufighter

If you are unable to distinguish real from repro you should not collect at price points greater than what you are willing to lose.. Just sayin'.
[:)]No truer words spoken by a better man, WHICH is WHY I dont collect historical flasks, too many repros out there, and I cannot TELL the difference!!

kungfufighter

Reaction score
If someone has interest in a category with which they are unfamiliar they should pick a good dealer (or three) buy from them and learn from them. It's a lot like buying stocks - lots of people think they can do just as good a job as the pros but some end up going broke in the process. There are experts in any field - trust them and use them to your advantage. This is how I have learned about redware, furniture, painted surfaces, etc...

LC

Reaction score
All the years I collected bottles I never for a long time had any notions that there were reproduction flasks till I came upon a Jenny Lind flask . I think it was green in color . I am thinking I still have it somewhere although I have not came across it in ages . I had been collecting for a good long time before coming across it .

Sir.Bottles

Reaction score
I agree with you!![:)][:)][:)] Crap !! Be ready for incoming repro!!

Sir.Bottles

Reaction score
Yep, our hobby is just getting harder & harder everyday.[:eek:][:eek:]

splante

Reaction score
glad I mainley collect local acls,easy to date most of them. As far as Antique bottles 90% of mine are dug,or found in rivers and dumps. Just like the ole saying if it seems to good to be true it probably is. if a bottle looks to good to be true its a repro. I think it should be considered as spam, a new member advertising a site on his first post red flags all day long...just like all these dam repro advertising signs you can spot them a mile away a

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
Kungfufighter what you say is SO true. Myself I have 40 years in the hobby, with local stoneware and local bottles my strongest areas.
With the help of both knowledgeable dealers and fellow collectors over the years I too have gained tremendous knowledge, and have had the good fortune to have seen the private collections of the very top collectors in my area.
This has allowed me, again over decades, to have one of the very top collections in my area.
Knowledge is an investment.

NyDigger1

Reaction score
I hate repros... The only repros that should be made are of bottles that have no known examples, but the molds do exist. I heard a story a little while ago of an 1870s bottle in the shape of a bumblebee. No whole examples were ever found, but the molds turned up. They decided to make a few examples and then lock away the molds.

Staff online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky